• You are here
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

FRACKING FOR THE TRUTH: ‘Gasland’ Filmmaker Arrest

#118128 2 years, 5 months ago
More of a FYI type of post.

Wed Feb 1, 2012 2:41pm

Josh Fox, whose HBO documentary “Gasland” raised questions about the safety of the natural gas drilling technique known as horizontal hydraulic fracturing, was handcuffed and led away on Wednesday as he tried to film a House Science Committee hearing on the topic.

The Capitol Police said that Mr. Fox, whose film was nominated for an Academy Award last year, was charged with unlawful entry and was being dealt with at Capitol Police headquarters. A spokeswoman for Mr. Fox said she had no further details as of early Wednesday afternoon.

Mr. Fox brought a crew to film a hearing of the energy and environment subcommittee that was looking into an Environmental Protection Agency finding that fracking, as the technique is popularly known, was probably responsible for groundwater contamination in Pavillion, Wyo.

Mr. Fox is preparing a sequel to “Gasland,” which has contributed to widespread concern about fracking, which uses large volumes of water and chemicals under high pressure to free gas deposits from underground shale.

The chairman of the subcommittee conducting the hearing, Representative Andy Harris, a Maryland Republican, objected to the presence of Mr. Fox and his crew as well as another crew under contract to ABC. A committee chairman has the discretion to bar cameras from hearings, according to a committee aide.

The hearing was broadcast at the committee’s Web site. Mr. Harris said the two crews did not have proper media credentials.

Representative Brad Miller, the ranking Democrat on the subcommittee, asked that the crews be allowed to stay and called for a vote. After a recess to round up more members, the Republicans prevailed and the cameras were barred.

“This is a public hearing!” Mr. Fox shouted as he was led away, according to several news reports. “I’m being denied my First Amendment rights.”
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ecojaded, mistache
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: FRACKING FOR THE TRUTH: ‘Gasland’ Filmmaker Arrest

#118199 2 years, 5 months ago
i live in PA where they are doing this stuff lots of spills and problems most dont hear about they wanted to drill in the deleware water gap national scenic park what a travesty glad it got shot down this is bad news dontlet itcome into NY nyers
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#118202 2 years, 5 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
i live in PA where they are doing this stuff lots of spills and problems most dont hear about they wanted to drill in the deleware water gap national scenic park what a travesty glad it got shot down this is bad news dontlet itcome into NY nyers

What do you mean? I see the experts on TV, they say all is well. And that guy who lit his tap water on fire. Well, apparently his water came from a well that was actually in a methane something or other. So the fracking really didn't have anything to do with that. Hey, wanna buy a bridge?

Stupid jackasses. Natural Gas may be the answer, but damn guys, form what I know the technology to extract this safely just aint here yet.

This piece on 60 minutes was good and informative

mistache
Junior Boarder

#118937 2 years, 5 months ago
they can do it without fracking, just not as lucrative. & yes much water unsafe; but then they may always provide safe bottled, for a price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#126407 2 years, 4 months ago
Feb 27, 4:53 PM EST

W. Pa. wells had casing failures in complaint area

By Kevin Begos
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- At least two gas wells near a community that's complained of sudden drinking water pollution developed casing problems during the drilling process, but neither Rex Energy Corp. nor state environmental regulators disclosed those problems during recent discussions about the contamination.

(complete story here) hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAS_D...=2012-02-27-16-53-00

ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#126742 2 years, 4 months ago
This could become a hot button.

Maybe this is their intentions for "Nueturing The EPA" although I reamember reading somewhere that the current EPA director is a former Energy Board Member for **I forgot** Houston Company.

Fox>Hen House senerio
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#128550 2 years, 4 months ago
I forgot is where "buckshot to your fucking head" Cheney used to hang his hat?

The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds