• You are here
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

National Marrow Awareness Month- Please donate!

#295998 8 months, 2 weeks ago
November is national Marrow Awareness Month, to try and bring attention to the lives that can be saved through bone marrow donation and transplant. Did you know you can donate an "organ" while you're still alive and save someone's life? Well, you sure can, and all it take is a simple mouth swab, no needle necessary any more! Currently there are a lot of local drives to get donors registered in the National donor database. All you need to do is find a drive in your area, and head over to get swabbed and registered. Then if you are found to be a match, you'll be contacted and further testing will confirm if you can be a donor AND SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE!! Now it doesn't get much kinder than that, does it?

70% of all patients, primarily blood cancer (e.g., leukemia, aplastic anemia), can't get find a family member with a suitable match. This is where donor marrow can come into play and save a life. It's very effective for the patient and only minimally uncomfortable for the donor. Please think about helping!!

For more information and to find a donation site near you, check the website at: bethematch.org
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Cub
kevin
Platinum Boarder

Re: National Marrow Awareness Month- Please donate!

#296356 8 months, 1 week ago
Thanks Sue, a very good friend got leukemia at age 25 and died at 27 needing a bone marrow transplant

I WILL act on this valuable info

For my Friend Jesse Mills (1969-1996) RIP

-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub, SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#296358 8 months, 1 week ago
Good for you, Kevin, that's a wonderful tribute! I'm so sorry you lost your friend. It shows how important it is to make sure that marrow transplant is an option as often as possible, for as many patients as possible. I've been in the registry for years, but have never been a match for anyone. It still makes you feel good to know you might be, though!
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub, kevin
Cub
Senior Boarder

#296521 8 months, 1 week ago
Speaking from personal experience joining the National Registry is life saver. I grew up in a small town in NJ (the toxic state) where Acute Mylogenous Leukemia (AML) affected some close friends and a cousin. One friend was saved by a match with a woman from Germany who was flown over to Penn within weeks of the match-up. My cousin couldn't get a 10 point match and passed this summer. But his transplant gave him 1 year. I was saved by using my own stem cells in a process called Autologous BMT. I'm not 100% but I manage and I'm grateful that I saw the value in paying for the best health insurance plan available and elected for the Long-term disability insurance plan thru my employer. I hope that even the young and indestructible will realize that health insurance is as important as car insurance.

Because: Well well well, You can never tell
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds