Re: How many Organ Donors in the Forum?

#43076 3 years, 1 month ago
"you can't take it with you when ya go"
mountainjam28
Junior Boarder
Enjoying the ride...

#44050 3 years, 1 month ago
I am because what the hell am I gonna do with them when I'm gone? When I die, my body..to me.. was just the vessel I've lived in, my spirit/soul is gone so why not give someone else a second chance at life? Take what you need and burn what's left and scatter the ashes in the mountains somewhere.
aiko420
Junior Boarder

#49741 3 years, 1 month ago
I am both a donor and a recipient. Back in 2004 I found out that I only had 15% function in my kidneys due to years of abusing my diabetes. The progression of the kidney failure was so long that I didn't even know I was sick. I was still coaching youth soccer 5 nights a week, working a full time job and supporting my family up til the Friday before my operation. Luckily, my big sis was almost a perfect match so I didn't go on dialysis, or have to ask any family or friends or go on a list. She stepped right up to the plate and said to test her first. Amazing! For most of my life, my sister and I were never that close, now we talk atleast 3 -4 times a week. I am humbled by her generosity and by those who choose to be a donor.

She named the kidney "Lola" after the song... "She walked like a woman, talked like a man." We have a sick sense of humor in my family. She also had a going away party for Lola in Charlotte where she served bloody mary's, kidney bean soup and spare ribs. She played organ music during the party as well.

They say we all have a guardian angle to look over us, only I get to see and talk to mine on a regular basis. I have never been so Grateful! So, thank you to all who have expressed their willingness to be a donor! It touches the lives of people everyday. I heard once (or a few hundred times)... Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!
Sometimes you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince
bjpolar
Fresh Boarder

#65291 2 years, 11 months ago
I am, and have been since my first DL. Seems like the right thing to do.
Glad Phil continues to remind us, I think of him every time I see my orange donor sticker!
"...bound to cover just a little more ground..."
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#70051 2 years, 11 months ago
Been one since 1985.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#70076 2 years, 11 months ago
aiko420 wrote:
I am both a donor and a recipient. Back in 2004 I found out that I only had 15% function in my kidneys due to years of abusing my diabetes. The progression of the kidney failure was so long that I didn't even know I was sick. I was still coaching youth soccer 5 nights a week, working a full time job and supporting my family up til the Friday before my operation. Luckily, my big sis was almost a perfect match so I didn't go on dialysis, or have to ask any family or friends or go on a list. She stepped right up to the plate and said to test her first. Amazing! For most of my life, my sister and I were never that close, now we talk atleast 3 -4 times a week. I am humbled by her generosity and by those who choose to be a donor.

She named the kidney "Lola" after the song... "She walked like a woman, talked like a man." We have a sick sense of humor in my family. She also had a going away party for Lola in Charlotte where she served bloody mary's, kidney bean soup and spare ribs. She played organ music during the party as well.

They say we all have a guardian angle to look over us, only I get to see and talk to mine on a regular basis. I have never been so Grateful! So, thank you to all who have expressed their willingness to be a donor! It touches the lives of people everyday. I heard once (or a few hundred times)... Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!

what a cool story, thanks for sharing. i especially like that your sis named the kidney "Lola" and had a going away party for it.
tumbleweed
Junior Boarder

#74735 2 years, 11 months ago
Donor, and thanks to someone else who also was, my sister received 2 donated lungs at age 29.
Congenital condition..
The donor whose lungs she received gave a 29 year old woman, my sister, my best friend, 2307 more days to live had she not received them.

2,307 days. The donor's gift extended her life. She'd have otherwise died at 29.

2307 days later, her underlying disease ultimately overcame her and she died. She was 35.

We don't just promote donation awareness, we talk to people about assigning healthcare proxys, and filing a State issued organ donor form with their doctors and attorneys, etc.

2307 days.
this is the season of what now
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#78521 2 years, 10 months ago
right here!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
violetgoo
Junior Boarder
a full-blown deadhead

#90808 2 years, 9 months ago
JUST CHECKING THE BOX OR STATING TO THE MOTOR VEHICLE OFFICE WHEN GETTING A LICENSE THAT YOU WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR DOESN'T DO IT FOLKS!!! YOU NEED TO TELL THE PERSON OR PEOPLE WHO WILL HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR BODY AFTER YOU DIE!!! THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WILL MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR YOU- NOT YOU. MAYBE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING WITH A LAWYER- LIKE IN A WILL OR SOME KIND OF THING LIKE THAT WHICH IS LEGALLY BINDING AND TAKES THAT RIGHT AWAY FROM YOUR NEXT OF KIN TO DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR BODY AFTER YOU DIE- YOU CAN ALSO HIRE A LAWYER TO WRITE UP THE PAPERS TO GIVE SOMEONE LEGAL POWER OF ATTORNEY WHO IS NOT YOUR LEGAL NEXT OF KIN. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PLAN IF YOUR NEXT OF KIN ARE ESTRANGED AND YOU DONT TALK TO THEM OR IF THEY ARE RELIGIOUS NUTS WHO WONT RESPECT YOUR WISHES TO BECOME AN ORGAN DONOR AND WILL DECIDE AFTER YOU DIE THAT PARTS OF YOUR BODY SHOULD NOT BE DONATED. YOU HAVE TO MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE THAT THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE CONTROL OVER WHAT IS DONE WITH YOUR BODY AFTER YOU DIE ARE GOING TO DONATE YOUR ORGANS. JUST TELLING THE PEOPLE AT THE DRIVERS LICENSE OFFICE OR HAVING "I WANT MY ORGANS DONATED" ON YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE WILL NOT DO ANYTHING IF YOUR NEXT OF KIN OR OTHER PEOPLE LEGALLY DELEGATED TO DECIDE WHAT IS DONE WITH YOUR BODY DONT WANT ANY OF IT DONATED. TELL THE PERSON OR PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO HAVE THIS LEGAL RIGHT!!! THEY ARE THE *ONLY* PEOPLE WHO CAN LEGALLY MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!! sorry to be so dogmatic about this w the all caps and stuff but my beautiful friend Lisa Brooks died at the age of 22 waiting for a liver. im extremely passionate about organ donation and want to make sure that a liver that could save someone like my Lisa does not get wasted because that person didnt know that the box they checked legally means nothing and the only way to ensure that liver gets to someone like Lisa is to make damned sure the people who will decide this after you are dead have been told in no uncertian terms that your organs are for donation and not for whatever plans those next of kin people might have for you. THANX EVERYONE!!!
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds