• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

Re: What are you listening to right now?

#222051 1 year, 10 months ago
St.Stephenhead wrote:
7/31/82 Manor Downs

A must, as is 8/3/82 KC
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

#222062 1 year, 10 months ago
Exodus- Shovel Headed Kill Machine
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#222068 1 year, 10 months ago
6/7/2011 Furthur
The Wheel
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#222092 1 year, 10 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
I'm stuck in early 1968. The Download Series #6, 68-03-17, listening to the gorgeous Spanish Jam out of China Cat that then feeds into a monster The Eleven that then feeds into a behemoth of a Caution. The drummers are relentless. THE DRUMMERS ARE RELENTLESS. The Spanish Jam isn't listed anywhere that I can find, and it is an exceptional one. Maybe my 2nd favorite Caution, behind the all-time great 68-06-14, 30-minute version (bonus disc to The Complete Fillmore West Recordings...and a SBD!).

68-03-17 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca. (Sun)
Dark Star> Born Cross-Eyed, Cryptical> Other One> Cryptical> New Potato Caboose, China Cat> Spanish Jam> The Eleven> Caution> Feedback.
I'm still on this show...3rd time tonight.

CM wrote:
Yeah, I can can kinda hear it starting around 3:30 of China Cat and it goes on for about 90 seconds. The odd part is Jerry is teasing it when it's normally Weir playing it.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#222101 1 year, 10 months ago
archive.org/details/gd94-03-28.aud-sbd.unknown.17263.sbeok.shnf

that would be something, it really would be something, meet ya in the pouring rain, meet ya in the pourin rain...
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

#222254 1 year, 10 months ago
archive.org/details/gd85-10-31.matrix.loy.31189.sbeok.flacf

my first show, and not the greatest by any means. But my first and very special to me though
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

#222517 1 year, 10 months ago
'Frances the Mute' by The Mars Volta. If you haven't heard these guys, they may blow you away. They're like a machine.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#222519 1 year, 10 months ago
finishing up NYE 1979 soon to be starting NYE 1980
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#222544 1 year, 10 months ago
gd70-09-19.sbd.reynolds.97906.sbeok.flac16

09-19-70 Fillmore East, New York, N.Y. (Sat)
New Speedway, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Morning Dew, Me & My Uncle, Schoolgirl, Cold Rain, Easy Wind, Sugar Magnolia, Dark Star> St. Stephen> NFA> Darkness Jam> NFA> Lovelight

Probably my favorite recording from 1970 (man, that's even a difficult thing to type). This was a special night, and like many special nights, we do not have the complete show to experience. While we only have a small part of this show (the bold/underline part), what little we have is incredible, even when stacked against the incredible. I see it like this:

Dark Star - top-5 Dark Star - from lunar to nasty to smooth to chaos to rigid. It's everything music can be, and if anyone can hear us in space, I hope they hear this. This is exactly why those '68-'70 Dark Stars cannot be touched. Love that they're still playing small enough venues for the drummers to fill space with delicate percussion, ie guiro, rattles, etc. Or maybe rather that they hadn't bothered to re-arrange the song yet. I believe Mickey was on the guiro, and Billy was on the rattles. Jerry and Phil are a four-armed brain. The jam at 16:05 is fantastic. It sounds to me like the China Cat segue that Bob pushed in 1974, but I could be mistaken. I looked around and couldn't find anyone else talking about it in that context. Maybe a common chord progression? Whatever the case, Bobby does tease China Cat at 19:07. I could listen to Jerry play the 20:22-20:43 theme for another ten minutes.

St.Stephen - Listen to Mickey on the tiny bells or finger cymbals on St.Stephen; so dainty and poignant. Mickey's gunshot snare at 4:04 wakes the dead. So loud. So sharp. He's particularly aggressive this entire show.

NFA> Darkness Jam> NFA - I cannot begin to convey how beautiful and furious this is. I don't think I've ever listened to this and not got goosebumps. As great as the rest of the recording is, this is my favorite moment. There are other Darkness China jams to be found, but this is by far the best. They push NFA at 2:26, but the madness doesn't begin to kick into gear until 3:30. Phil us up and down the neck, creating hysteria in the background. Ferocious. That's all I can find to say. Bob is amazing in this jam. If he ever held his own against Jerry, this is one of those times. 4:52 it jettisons into onto another plane. At 4:58, Mickey is again destroying the cow with two blows; loud and a defining point. 5:10 and Jerry is...I don't know what he is, but he's indeed something else. From 6:03-6:13, maybe the finest ten seconds in their nearly 30 year existence (yeah, I'm saying it, and really, you can extend this extraordinary segment back to 5:41). At 6:13, they EXPLODE into China Cat with a power chord. Phil paints every wall and every angle...over and over again until it's all deep space black. More power chords at 7:14. So, for around four full minutes, from 3:30-7:30, we're treated to perfection and flawless chaos.

I cannot play this loud enough. No one can. It's cheesy, but it's the truth for me. When I think of music I want to play louder than a stereo can rightly play, this is it. Again, screw streaming. Fuck MP3s. Take it lossless. Play it lossless.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: borninthedesert
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#222560 1 year, 10 months ago
Carlos Santana "Moonflower"
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Time to create page: 1.96 seconds