• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Lynx
Visitor

Rainy days and Mean Hippies

#3459 3 years, 6 months ago
I'm just curious if anyone knows of other bands who's fans are so outwardly hostile towards each other as "dead heads" are. I mean, for a group of people that like to think of themselves as ideally slightly kinder and more accepting of others this social microcosm of ours seems to have become more petty that "hetty" (I've learned some new lingo recently!). I find the mean-spirited rhetoric that permeates this community to be...well...sad. And I'm not just talking about "Trolls". Yeah they are just a ubiquitous part of the internet. They come with the territory, I know. But I'm not speaking of them, I'm speaking of people I believe to be actual fans of the Grateful Dead and this music that continually ridicule, belittle and degrade other fans, members of other message boards, and even the band members themselves. For example there's a thread going around on the Phil Zone right now talking about how lame some thread on this site is. Really? Why must people be like that? Does it make them happier in some way? Does it make them feel better than others? Is that something they crave? I just don't get it. Then again whenever I watch the news I just don't get a lot of stuff I see on there either. Ah I'm just stupid. Always have been. But this community used to be a sanctuary for people like me... not so bright but happy and wanting to be around other people who choose to occupy our minds with good thoughts. I'm not saying all dead heads were this way, but the dead head community was certainly a safe place for those that were. Now this scene just feels cold, ordinary, and empty of any soul to me. I guess I'm over it.

A lot seems to have changed in the 26 years I have been a part of this scene. Perhaps it is the anonymous nature of the internet that allows people to be cynical and cruel in ways that they would never be when face to face with another person. Perhaps some just can't grasp that at the other end of all these wires and cables and modems and what-not sits another flesh and blood human being. Perhaps it's too abstract for some. Maybe it's all too abstract for me. I know this has all been said before so sorry for digging up old bones as it were. I'm just disappointed and quite frankly a little embarrassed at the disintegration of the community I was once proud to be a part of. I guess I'm de facto not part of it anymore.

I've just seen so much fighting recently. In my family's personal life mostly (though thankfully I'm not involved in any of it!), as well as on TV, at work, and then I come on here and there are "dead heads" attacking and belittling other "dead heads". Weepin' jesus on the cross people!!!!! Give yourself a gift and don't go looking for reasons to hate your own kind!

Nothing lasts forever.

EDIT: but for what it's worth I'm still not smoking (day 7 now) and there are two Pine Siskins and a beautiful Fox Sparrow visiting the feeders so that's nice.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by .
gofurthur
Fresh Boarder

Re: Rainy days and Mean Hippies

#3463 3 years, 6 months ago
I think the lame vibe is just in these forums( PZ.org, Ratdog.org, and now this). Its not represented at shows. t least I never see people acting like they do behind the veil of a computer. I've been wondering about the negativity on forums since their beginning. I have come to the conclusion that not many of these people go to shows...If they do. I don't meet them or hear their negativity. My advise is don't let forum BS keep you from shows or get you to think that deadheads are mean. These people that continually talk smack and want the threads to be negative are not in it for the music. I think deadheads are the nicest people on the planet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , SlipEleven, nycdave
Shagadelic
Junior Boarder

#3469 3 years, 6 months ago
gofurthur wrote:
I think the lame vibe is just in these forums( PZ.org, Ratdog.org, and now this). Its not represented at shows. t least I never see people acting like they do behind the veil of a computer.

Agreed.
Its just this medium that brings out that behavior imo.
Jerri1031
Junior Boarder
"End up strikin' matches / To better see the dark"

#3472 3 years, 6 months ago
You are not "stupid." The negativity is very much real --- it is truly beyond comprehension. Unfortunately I definitely encountered it to a certain degree during my 17 years on tour, however it appears that this medium magnifies it immensely. My only recommendation is to find the positive spaces and put your --- our --- focus there. Let the dead bury the dead.

Peace be with you ---- you are obviously a kind soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
halvo
Fresh Boarder

#3473 3 years, 6 months ago
so Macluhan was right that the "Medium is the Message" and the tec hnology can be atrributed to changing behavior, being behind the veil of a screen name has brought out a behavior in people that might not otherwise develop... so can we change the use of the technology.. will digital identites be different in the future and we will have to "own" what we say.. that might chnage the way people use discusion boards and anonymous postings... I agree that all in all the vibe in the crowd still seems to be good except for those who might be new to the scene and don't know how to act but that has always been the case.. enjoy and peace to all
Shagadelic
Junior Boarder

#3475 3 years, 6 months ago
halvo wrote:
so Macluhan was right that the "Medium is the Message" and the tec hnology can be atrributed to changing behavior, being behind the veil of a screen name has brought out a behavior in people that might not otherwise develop... so can we change the use of the technology.. will digital identites be different in the future and we will have to "own" what we say.. that might chnage the way people use discusion boards and anonymous postings...

Interesting thoughts!
Also, I'll say over the decades there obviously is negative instances at shows etc...but thats not unique to our scene/band etc.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#3476 3 years, 6 months ago
>>>> Its not represented at shows. t least I never see people acting like they do behind the veil of a computer.

Have you been to any shows out east? Lol. While granted many of the online persona's don't read well in a black and white environment such as the internet, there are plenty of stories from the lot that rival anything thats happened online. And if you haven't seen this in the lot's then your simply not paying attention or not focused on seeing that side of things which is cool, but it is there.

Matter of fact if I can dig up the Albany 09 The Dead show pics I'll post an example. Somebody done fucked up and was made to wear a sign around his neck that said "I'm worthless" or something to that extent while being walked on a leash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerri1031
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#3477 3 years, 6 months ago
I too unfortunatly found some mean heads . Shorltly after Jerry passed some friends and I were at a Phish show (my 1st and only) and my friend had an extra ticket he was only trying to get face value for. One idiot came up claming it was his birthday and when my friend would'nt give him the ticket for free he spit beer all over my friend! some of the new kids have no respect.
The voices tell me what to say
BlueVisions
Fresh Boarder

#3479 3 years, 6 months ago
10 years of internet drama sounds pretty lame to me. lol
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#3482 3 years, 6 months ago
>>>>except for those who might be new to the scene and don't know how to act

I dunno, I've meet many a Head who've been around since the 60's/70's who still haven't a clue as to how to act, lol....

Interesting thoughts on technology. The mind is a terrible thing to waste....

As for the PZ, why is anyone concerned with what they have to say? Lol....
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds