• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

Re: Rainy days and Mean Hippies

#248259 1 year, 4 months ago
Lynx wrote:
I'm just curious if anyone knows of other bands who's fans are so outwardly hostile towards each other as "dead heads" are. I mean, for a group of people that like to think of themselves as ideally slightly kinder and more accepting of others this social microcosm of ours seems to have become more petty that "hetty" (I've learned some new lingo recently!). I find the mean-spirited rhetoric that permeates this community to be...well...sad. And I'm not just talking about "Trolls". Yeah they are just a ubiquitous part of the internet. They come with the territory, I know. But I'm not speaking of them, I'm speaking of people I believe to be actual fans of the Grateful Dead and this music that continually ridicule, belittle and degrade other fans, members of other message boards, and even the band members themselves. For example there's a thread going around on the Phil Zone right now talking about how lame some thread on this site is. Really? Why must people be like that? Does it make them happier in some way? Does it make them feel better than others? Is that something they crave? I just don't get it. Then again whenever I watch the news I just don't get a lot of stuff I see on there either. Ah I'm just stupid. Always have been. But this community used to be a sanctuary for people like me... not so bright but happy and wanting to be around other people who choose to occupy our minds with good thoughts. I'm not saying all dead heads were this way, but the dead head community was certainly a safe place for those that were. Now this scene just feels cold, ordinary, and empty of any soul to me. I guess I'm over it.

A lot seems to have changed in the 26 years I have been a part of this scene. Perhaps it is the anonymous nature of the internet that allows people to be cynical and cruel in ways that they would never be when face to face with another person. Perhaps some just can't grasp that at the other end of all these wires and cables and modems and what-not sits another flesh and blood human being. Perhaps it's too abstract for some. Maybe it's all too abstract for me. I know this has all been said before so sorry for digging up old bones as it were. I'm just disappointed and quite frankly a little embarrassed at the disintegration of the community I was once proud to be a part of. I guess I'm de facto not part of it anymore.

I've just seen so much fighting recently. In my family's personal life mostly (though thankfully I'm not involved in any of it!), as well as on TV, at work, and then I come on here and there are "dead heads" attacking and belittling other "dead heads". Weepin' jesus on the cross people!!!!! Give yourself a gift and don't go looking for reasons to hate your own kind!

Nothing lasts forever.

EDIT: but for what it's worth I'm still not smoking (day 7 now) and there are two Pine Siskins and a beautiful Fox Sparrow visiting the feeders so that's nice.

-- smell every flower --
Gratefullyjohn
Junior Boarder
Let it ride, let it roll... LET IT ROLL

#248260 1 year, 4 months ago
I sincerely love each and every one of you and I really mean that. We should be doing nothing but spreading good vibes and love. People may appear happy, but you never know what they might be going through. We are all family here we all share the same love for the same band clearly or we wouldn't use our valuable time sitting here on a forum.
Broken heart don't feel so bad, you ain't got half of what you thought you had
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Gratefullyjohn.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#248307 1 year, 4 months ago
Message from Phil
January 5, 2006

"Don't worry up uour mind
People are sick and mean sometimes
They're only words
They're only words"...

I am responsible for asking to take down the message board on Philzone. Until now, I have felt that the boards are your turf to trample as you will; but right before New Year's Eve one of my employees recieved a very threatening email from a frequent poster on Philzone. In the process of dealing with this I was shown that the discussions sometimes cross the line. For example -Bob Weir is dead; so and so (fill in the name of the musician you most love to hate) is a junkie / child-molester / wife-beater / asshole / sucks, etc.
Our attorneys are dealing with the threatening email, but they are concerned that Philzone.com/org is perceived to be an official site. We will be working with the Philzone team to clarify the distinction between the two...

In the end, what we want or enjoy in life comes down to personal preference;
the best and the bravest will always follow their own path in their listening,
in their reading, in their thinking,
without any concern for the opinions of others.

Words of comfort whispered to the injured,
words of courage whispered to the scared,
words of encouragement whispered to a child,
words of love whispered to the sky.

Words have great power; use them wisely.

~ Phil
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by nycdave. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanman, Gratefullyjohn, wendgrant
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#248366 1 year, 3 months ago
>>>Are you going to any spring shows? I would love to have this conversation in person<<<

Of course I am.

But I dont bring any drama to the shows, that is a time to be in the now....not discuss the Furthur Forum or Phil Zone.

I am quite sure that you would enjoy mu company at a show....

I dont quite get the "Bully" analogy....I dont single out any one person, or constantly go after the same persona. I just come here every once in a while to rile up the bunches.

If anything, when I go into a rant, I unite most of you.

Fact of the matter is I love the miusic...I love Phil....I love Bobby (despite what most may believe)...and I am a very kind and generous soul in real life. If I have to look at it from the outside looking in....perhaps I sometimes do what I do and say what I say because I dont often get the opportunity in real like to be controvercial. I go with the flow....provide for my family, work my ass off every day and conform to what I need to be at work so I CAN provide.

The one really "Nasty" comment I made towards Bob was I called him a drunk and I apoligized for it because it was vicious...and who am I to judge. But the commentary towards how I think he plays anymore....well thats my opinion and I think I am entitled to it.

Soooo.....I guess what I find so funny is the fact that folks cant take a comment towards thier precious Bobby and thier panties immediately get in a bunch and they lash.

Peaceful Site???

I've been told from some on this site to go fuck my mother, called a faggot, told that I probably like little boys....you name it. So this peace and love persona that folks claim to have is a pure facade.

I have been responded to in a more vicious way than anything I have ever posted here....and that is a fact.

You all have a great day.....

This post took wayyy too much time.
Gratefullyjohn
Junior Boarder
Let it ride, let it roll... LET IT ROLL

#248371 1 year, 3 months ago
Just because your name is PhilisGod I want to meet you. It's the best username I have ever seen haha
Broken heart don't feel so bad, you ain't got half of what you thought you had
The following user(s) said Thank You: philisgod
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#248373 1 year, 3 months ago
PIG wrote: I dont quite get the "Bully" analogy....I dont single out any one person, or constantly go after the same persona. I just come here every once in a while to rile up the bunches.

In retrospect you r correct. Bully is not the right word, though being a sensitive dead head might qualify as a 'persona'. In the real world I am (relatively) sure that you are indeed a nice person who is making a positive contribution to the planet. As for what you contribute to the GD cyberspace world. Uh, you make some valid points. I think that this whole concept of 'deader then thou' is nonsense. I also think that people should not get upset by what is said on an internet forum about something or some group they like. It does seem that you like to stir the pot (and some people) up a bit. As a fellow pot stirrer I grok that when you 'rile up the bunches' don't be surprised that people get upset.
When you write; "I've been told from some on this site to go fuck my mother, called a faggot, told that I probably like little boys....you name it. So this peace and love persona that folks claim to have is a pure facade." I guess you are making a point here. The point being that when you attack something that people like, you ruffle their feathers a bit. Talking about peace luv and unicorn's is one thing. Being able to carry that concept out when feathers are ruffled is a bit more challenging.
You seem to have some measure of intelligence. To piss people off just for the fun of it seems like an odd way to have fun. Perhaps you can use use your smarts to create a cybershift game where people and angels do battle with unicorns. Now that would be real fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: philisgod
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#248385 1 year, 3 months ago
Or maybe I should just stop being a dik NYCDave....

I appreciate good debate, I have changed my ways many times over the years due to my faults being pointed out via debate.

You seem like a decent dude....

Enjoy the day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#248389 1 year, 3 months ago
when is the full zone hijacking of the forum going to take place? the SPAM bots are already attacking.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#248397 1 year, 3 months ago
Then like a bolt of lightning the solution hit me. The solution is to have two divisions of FFF. Division 1 FFF - Unicorn. Nothing but peace luv positive vibes intellegent conversation flowers and more luv. Division 2: FFF - The Dark Side. For people who while still luving the music, like to stir things up, pick on each other and the musicians, cause havoc, threaten to shoot the unicorns, etc. At shows, Division 1 can play vollyball against Division 2.
Both divisions will agree that spammers should be shot, dragged through the mud and in every way possible be degraded then some.
I trust that the people who run this site will be more then happy to have double the work to support both divisions.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#248416 1 year, 3 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Then like a bolt of lightning the solution hit me. The solution is to have two divisions of FFF. Division 1 FFF - Unicorn. Nothing but peace luv positive vibes intellegent conversation flowers and more luv. Division 2: FFF - The Dark Side. For people who while still luving the music, like to stir things up, pick on each other and the musicians, cause havoc, threaten to shoot the unicorns, etc. At shows, Division 1 can play vollyball against Division 2.
Both divisions will agree that spammers should be shot, dragged through the mud and in every way possible be degraded then some.
I trust that the people who run this site will be more then happy to have double the work to support both divisions.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the unicorns stampede and chase down the spammers, thus crushing them under their hooves?
After the spammers have been pummeled be sure to sprinkle glitter on them, rainbow glitter of course.

I just checked with a book maker in Vegas. He gives Div. 2 3:1 over Div 1, who come in at 5:1

Division 3- those of us who will laugh at division 1 and 2 and think you take it all waaayyyyy too seriously.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by AcidTestGraduate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gratefullyjohn
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds