• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

My Brother in Law (a street musician from Ecuador)

#101201 2 years, 10 months ago
I've taken him to a few dead shows and he loves that music too (so much he still has my copy of the dvd "the closing of winterlands". In these clips my bro in law (Angel) is playing the guitar. He also plays something called a chirango, like a mini guitar. His is made from an armadillo shell.

They were awarded the best street musicians in NY about 10 years ago. And they've played at Carnage hall, etc. One guy who sometimes played with them also toured with Paul Simon for a few years.

FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Dire Wolf, doin_that_rag
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

Re: My Brother in Law (a street musician from Ecuador)

#101219 2 years, 10 months ago
Very neat!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
derek92
Junior Boarder

#103525 2 years, 10 months ago
i like all of those videos
really cool stuff
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#103977 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks, the video's don't do them justice, they are really much better live. I've seen plenty of native Ecuadorians and Peruvians brought to tears when the hear the music (they get homesick, which I understand as many are here illegally and can not visit their loved ones back home).

They have been discovered a few times by real musicians while playing in the subway. Clint Black heard them and hired them for one of his music video's, and I am pretty sure the one group member who joined Paul Simon on tour was also discovered on the street.

They make most of their money selling CD's, and I used to get a kick out of the guy selling the cds. The band would be playing and the salesman used to walk around saying "$10" (this was years ago). People would ask him if it was the same musicians on the CD's, and he's smile and say "Same GAYS". We never knew if it was an English issue or what (we told him it was same GUYS, not gays) but he kept saying Same Gays with a big smile. Mr. $10 is in this video

Below is a more traditional selection of music. The band has changed over the years, and IMO the older groups were a bit better. But a lot of those guys were so good then went on to bigger and better.

83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#104158 2 years, 10 months ago
ive seen the peruvians in the subway not sure if its the same group as yours ,south park did a show on them once
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#107259 2 years, 10 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
ive seen the peruvians in the subway not sure if its the same group as yours ,south park did a show on them once

There are several similar groups in the NYC area. Especially in times square, Penn station, etc. It's apparently too saturated to make a decent living doing it anymore (plus the economy sucks) so my brother in law mostly plays on the weekends and they prefer weddings, etc if they can get the gigs.

The south park episode (Pan (flute??) endemic or something like that) was very funny.

Chester
More or less in line

#110557 2 years, 9 months ago
Way cool SF.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#111513 2 years, 9 months ago
Thanks SF, very good musicians, & I have a soft spot for Peruvians and Ecuadorians due to my travels and Shamanic work in The Amazon rainforest. These people drip with spirituality in their music which is just so cool. Thanks again for sharing, I hope to hear something like this when I hit NYC in April
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds