• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Tour with Brian Wilson

#111497 2 years, 8 months ago
I saw another thread a while back, but since they have now made it official, what are your thoughts and comments about this with 2 Wilsons passed on, do you think Mike Love, Brian Wilson and Al Jardine are enough originals to make this authentic or is this another CCR without John Fogerty? I personally hope to catch them as I have been holding out for Brian's return since he started performing again a decade ago. Brian is and was the master songwriter while Mike Love was only the lead Vocal. For me, it's good enough to get me to buy a ticket when they roll thru Detroit. The harmonies alone make me shiver and Brian being there is all it takes to separate me from some of my money.....
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Tour with Brian Wilson

#111977 2 years, 8 months ago
I'm excited this was my first concert experience with the family when I was a wee one! Am greatly looking forward to this for the summer hopefully they'll be playing the new Furthur fest!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
Chester
More or less in line

#112004 2 years, 8 months ago
Definitely go and enjoy. Who knows if they will ever tour again. I saw them 4 or 5 times back in the 80's.
If they came this way, I would try and get a ticket. That's a piece of music history right there.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#112032 2 years, 8 months ago
Depends on the prices. I was lucky enough, in 1974, to see the Beach Boys and Brian came out and made a rare appearance for most of the show. Still, I'm a major fan so if it's a good venue and a not-too-outrageous price I could easily be tempted.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#112061 2 years, 8 months ago
ill be going for sure. brian wilson WAS the beach boys, so if brian's there, im there...you couldnt get me to go see mike love without brian if you paid me.

mike has a great voice, and al jerdines is even better. brians is still beautiful but he sings in a totally different range than he did in the beach boys days. i saw him in oakland when he toured his new album "that lucky old sun"...the first set was BB tunes, and brians backing band played them WONDERFULLY. the issue was, brian couldnt sing them, sounded terrible and out of place in the harmonies, and obvoiusly didnt want to be singing the songs. second set was his new album played start to finish and was incredible, brian at his best.

if they redo the vocal sections to predominantly include brians voice as it is now i would be ecstatic.

apparently this tour is going to be using most of brians touring band as well, which is a staggeringly good band, both instrumentally and vocally.

if brians vocals are where they should be, and there is more focus on pet sounds/today/smile type material instead of "fun fun fun" and "barbara ann", the show will be one of the best of the year im sure. in fact, if those two critera were met, id go see the BB 50th tour over ANY furthur show ANY day. however, i think theres alot of potential for a musically shoddy nostalgia trip for aging, conservative baby boomers...two sets of bubblegum surf pop, sung poorly by brian, with a backing band of young nobodies drowning him out and troupes of squares dancing to it with their fake smiles...it could be the best show of the year or the worst depending on how they play it.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds