• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Lynx
Visitor

Any Mandolin Players here?

#1249 3 years, 4 months ago
So I have finally resolved myself to learning to play an instrument and decided that it will be the mandolin. There are many reasons why I chose the mandolin... besides loving the sound I also have fond memories of my Grandfather playing when I was young. He was an old-school Sicilian fisherman who played lots of Italian tunes on both the F-style and A-style Instruments.

Anyway I was wondering if there was anyone here who has any experience with playing the mandolin who might be able to offer any advice. I am thinking that when the tax money arrives I might purchase the Kentucky km-100. Is this a good choice? Reviews online seem to indicate this is a good beginner's mandolin but I've never actually met someone who's played one.

Also, how about any instructional DVDs or the like? I plan on taking lessens, but would like to at least familiarize myself with the basics of playing (and the instrument itself) before starting lessons.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
PolishCarpenter
Fresh Boarder

Re: Any Mandolin Players here?

#2097 3 years, 4 months ago
Hi!,
I just joined this forum and saw your post. Not sure about that model mando. It is probably good. I have had mixed results with my mandolins. I bought one used for 200$ that is kindve old and not made by any special company. It has a
great old timey sound which I love and have had other mando players complement. My other one is 10 years old, 800$ new (i bought it used), looks gorgeous, and sounds kind've lame. The action sucks and the glue joints are seperating. Ya never know!
I have some good books and DVD's that are pretty cool that I am looking to sell actually. Sam Bush, Grisman. I have one by a guy named Roland White which is real simple, but is my favorite. Its a great source for fun bluegrass songs. Taking lessons is key. I took lessons from a really good player who taught me some stuff that is not really in any books I have seen, which has helped me with bluegrass improv. I actually teach and am starting to think about working through skype. Write back or give me a call If you want. Good Luck!
John
720 560 8385
Lynx
Visitor

#2143 3 years, 4 months ago
Thanks John! I was hoping someone would pick up on my post...and I'm honored that your first post on this forum was to me! I'll be in touch.

PS. Karma for you.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#2274 3 years, 4 months ago
Here ya go. freepickin.com.

Also search Anthony Hannigan and Music Moose together on You Tube. There used to be a site, Music Moose, that had free lessons by Anthony, Dave Cavage on the banjo, Coleman Smith and Jeff Wisor on fiddle as well as Craig Vance and Billy Gilmore on guitar. They're still on you tube but the videos are in the process of being moved to freepickin.

Great guys, and great friends....
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#2276 3 years, 4 months ago
P.C./John I see you're from Colorado, do you know Anthony Hannigan? How about Mark Morris?
Lynx
Visitor

#2331 3 years, 4 months ago
Thanks Nupsdog!
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#7360 3 years, 3 months ago
If you are interested in practicing some fiddle tunes, I highly recommend the Brad Davis series of DVDs and CDs.
It's the best method I've seen, every song is played at four speeds, 1st slow, then increasing in speed.. Brad plays the melody solo, then a backup band plays while you give it a try.

i'm a guitar flatpicker and it's helped me a ton, along with all the great Youtube lessons. There are also practice tools, like the Amazing slowdowner that can be helpful as well. I'd try to get the chop stroke down, for starters.

Also, don't be afraid to jam with players much better than yourself, the bluegrass community is very supportive that way and at the same time know when to lay back and just chop chords, play rhythm support rather than be too much of a jam killer by trying too many leads at first. Hit a bluegrass festival when you have some chops and dive into the jams.

Most of all, enjoy!
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by sjfgreenman.
Lynx
Visitor

#7549 3 years, 3 months ago
Hey thanks sjf! So weird you picked up on this thread today of all days considering that the tax $ I am using to buy the instrument just arrived in the mailbox this afternoon!

My wife and I are going up to Burlington tomorrow to see Cornmeal and I might buy myself a present while I'm there (BTW the present is for quitting smoking. I know I've mentioned it a lot on these forums but I'm pretty proud of it! Been almost 3 weeks now and getting to the point that I barely think about cigs. 3 months of not smoking and it will be like getting the mandolin for free!.)

THANK YOU!
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#7729 3 years, 3 months ago
Well, congrats on the tax $ and good luck shopping..I like the concept that it's free from the cig savings, too, that's awesome.
My best buddy lives in Monkton, next to Bristol, south of Burlington..damn I love that area!! Cornmeal rules, Allie is a hell of a fiddler, have a blast.

That practice CD, btw is guitar oriented but I was turned onto it by a high level mando player I jam with who plays along with it all the time and swears by it. The guitar and mando breaks are very similar with slight variations so it doesn't matter. We're always talking about jamming with Brad.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Bluestnote 1
Junior Boarder

#7995 3 years, 3 months ago
work the pinkie! it'll be tempting NOT too, because it will be really hard at first.

good luck.

And learn "Kitchen Girl"! Open strings firsts. Then try it with all closed strings.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds