• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

My New Guitars

#13917 3 years, 6 months ago
In the last week I purchased 2 guitars. I'm in love. Madly. Must share.

Martin D-16RGT
Zager ZAD50

I'll try to post images later.

I 1st purchased a Zager guitar years ago, a Martin copy made overseas that he had modified to play "30% easier, for longer practice". Sounded good to me. Everyone who has tried this guitar is completely blown away, it plays like a guitar 4-5 times the price. Denny Zager retired for awhile so I thought I was holding a collectors item and any hope of having another guitar from his hand was gone. I talked to his son about a year ago who confirmed Denny wasn't working on any more guitars.

I visited his website a couple of months ago and, oh yeah, Denny not only came out of retirement, he is now making his own guitars!! His thing is to make a guitar that plays like a dream for much less than, say, a Martin at 3-5x the price. I have no connection to Zager, just passing on good news to anyone in the market for a guitar that plays and sounds like it should be much, much more expensive. The 50 is less than $600.00. I can't believe the sound and feel.

I think it's a labor of love for Denny since he's also a musician. He wrote that ballad "In the Year 2525". Remember that tune? Sort of a Moody Blues feel to it.

I found the Martin on Craigslist for $750. It lists for $1700, though you can get it for a few hundo less. It also plays like a dream with a full low end sound. I strongly recommend this model for anyone who must have a Martin but doesn't want to shell out for the mid-upper range guitar expense. It's a smaller dreadnaught style but has a full size sound.

The previous owner wasn't a flatpicker so I have a practically fresh, new fret board. Man, I feel lucky. I'm enjoying going back and forth between the two and fully basking in the golden strengths of each. Heaven, I tells ya.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: My New Guitars

#13962 3 years, 6 months ago
cool deal on that Martin. Was considering looking into that brand. I have a six sting Alvarez and a 12 string Washburn that I both love.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#13974 3 years, 6 months ago
Thanks, man. I read a ton of reviews on this model. Many people had the higher end Martins but sold them when they picked up this beauty. The low end for a bluegrasser is so important, as is the brightness and this has both. I love the low end so much I rarely capo so I can pick those bass runs like good ole Jerry. Love those bass runs, G runs, etc.

The Zager is right there too, just a steal.

I have a Washburn that I picked up last year when they had these huge closeouts for a ridiculous price..I think it's the jw58..the woodwork is just awesome and the low end is also above average..it verges on a jumbo.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#14050 3 years, 6 months ago
this is probably going to make a lot of folks laugh.
but, have any of you ever checked out those Esteban Guitars on the TV Infomercials ?
A guy I know ordered one and I got to hear him play it - unbelievable sound and quality craftsmanship for only 199 bucks !
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#14165 3 years, 6 months ago
"have any of you ever checked out those Esteban Guitars on the TV Infomercials ?"
Betcha David Lindley owns one.
I have a $250 335 Yamaha that sounds super sweet, doesn't surprise me that any low end guitar has good sound.

I'm feeling a whole other musical universe with these new ones, though.. the Zager plays like butter, just so easy, deep and bright. The Martin is a Martin, best made acoustics out there according to most players. They both have a 3 piece back, for starters, built to perfection.

www.zagerguitar.com/?event=public.store.guitars.list
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by sjfgreenman.
Chester
More or less in line

#14236 3 years, 6 months ago
I am envious. I always wanted a Martin. (Common dream among guitar players). As for nice low end models, I have
a "Gagliano". Bet you never heard of that. lol. I compared it with several other guitars in the 200 dollar range, and
it sounded superior to them all. Now, it's about 30 years old, so that's 200 dollars, 30 years ago. You probably couldn't
get this for less than 400-500 now. Unfortunately, it does show it's age. It was my first, so I didn't treat it as well
as I should have. But I love it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#14481 3 years, 6 months ago
"Unfortunately, it does show it's age. It was my first, so I didn't treat it as well
as I should have. But I love it."

I feel the same way about my Yamaha, I should probably give it away but am having a harder time than I thought parting with it. I've had it for 30 years, too and it shows as well. It's been cross country 6-7 times, on numerous road trips besides that and been played at so many memorable jams. God, I'm a sentimental sap. I never thought I'd have too many guitars, poor me.
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds