• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

Sarah McLachlan and the Rochester Philharmonic Orc

#166794 2 years, 4 months ago
Going to the show tonight and will attempt to review this tomorrow for all my Phriends out there.

The Story So Far
Since her signing with Arista Records nearly two decades ago, every one of Sarah McLachlan’s studio and live
albums has been certified gold, platinum, or multi-platinum by the RIAA. Touch (1988) and Solace (1991) were both
gold sellers. Her 1994 breakthrough, the 3X-platinum Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, was followed by the digitally
enhanced multimedia version of The Freedom Sessions (1995, gold).
“I remember being $400,000 in debt and thinking, halfway through that record (laughs), ‘Okay, the record
company is going to send me home because I’m just costing them so much money.’
“But I toured for 22 months on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, going back over and over to all these cities.
And every time it would be, y’know, 100 people, then 300 people, then 600 people. It was just a gentle
growing thing—it didn’t happen overnight, and I’m so grateful that it wasn’t this big overnight success.”
Sarah’s landmark fifth album, the 10X-platinum Surfacing (1997), contained two Grammy Award-winning tracks:
“Building a Mystery” won for Best Female Pop Vocal and “Last Dance” was voted Best Pop Instrumental. In 1998, the
soundtrack for City of Angels, a film inspired by Wim Wenders’ modern classic Wings of Desire, reached Number
One on the Billboard chart. Featuring the Sarah McLachlan track “Angel,” the City of Angels soundtrack achieved 4X
platinum sales status.
The 1999 Lilith Fair tour gave rise to Sarah’s 4X-platinum album Mirrorball and its platinum long-form video
counterpart. “I Will Remember You,” a track from Mirrorball, earned Sarah her third career Grammy Award, for Best
Female Pop Vocal (1999).
“Up until that point, I had managed to live my career rather quietly. I wasn’t in the tabloids—I still am not
for the most part, thankfully. It was Lilith Fair that catapulted me into a different stratosphere as far as the
media frenzy and public knowledge.
“And really, at the time, it seemed like ‘Okay, this feels right, I can manage this now’—whereas if that had
happened six or seven years previous, I don’t think I would have been anywhere near ready. But because
I was able to live my career quietly and have small successes and get used to things in that way, I think I
was kind of ready for it.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ecojaded, SunshineSue
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

Re: Sarah McLachlan and the Rochester Philharmonic Orc

#166796 2 years, 4 months ago
Sarah McLachlan's 2012 symphony orchestra tour will be making stops throughout the United States and Canada. Tour dates are schedule for:

6/22 - Toronto ON - Molson Canadian Amphitheatre - Buy Now!
6/23 - Laval, QC - Centre de la Nature - Onsale Now
6/24 - Shelburne, VT - The Green @ Shelburne Museum - Sold Out
6/26 - Canandaigua, NY - Constellation Brands Marvin Sands PAC - Onsale Now!
6/27 - Toledo, OH - Zoo Amphitheatre - Onsale Now!
6/28 - Nashville, TN - Schermerhorn Symphony Center - Sold Out
6/30 - Chicago, Il - Ravinia Onsale Here
7/1 - Rochester Hills, MI - Meadow Brook - Get Your Tickets Here!
7/3 - Atlanta, GA - Chastain Park Amphitheatre - Onsale Now
7/5 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Onsale Now!
7/6 - Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion - Buy Now!
7/7 - Mashantucket, CT - MGM Grand Theater @ Foxwoods - Onsale Now
7/8 - Atlantic City, NJ - Borgata Event Center - Onsale Now
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

Re: Sarah McLachlan and the Rochester Philharmonic Orc

#166798 2 years, 4 months ago
Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra

Founded in 1922 by George Eastman, the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra has found itself in the care of a series of well-qualified music directors, including Eugene Goossens, Jose Iturbi, Erich Leinsdorf, David Zinman, and Christopher Seaman. Through touring (including performances at Carnegie Hall) and recordings, the orchestra has been a presence among other American orchestras. Its recordings, especially, have continued to draw the attention of the public outside the Rochester area. British-born Eugene Goossens became music director upon coming to America in 1923. Goossens frequent guest appearances with other American orchestras focused attention on his fledgling symphony in Rochester. The R.P.O. made respectable progress during his eight years there before he accepted a call to Cincinnati in 1931. The next prominent figure arrived for the 1936-1937 season in the person of pianist and conductor Jose Iturbi. After guest concerts led during the previous season, Iturbi was appointed music director and served the R.P.O. until 1947. His tenure was not without controversy; remarks considered demeaning by many women and other comments taken by the press to have been pro-Fascist kept his name before the pre-WWII public for reasons other than musical. Upon Iturbi's departure, Erich Leinsdorf moved from the Cleveland Orchestra to assume duties as Rochester's music director. Later, David Zinman distinguished himself in Rochester before moving on to Baltimore. A number of celebrity guest conductors have led the R.P.O., as well, the names including those of Fritz Reiner, Sir Thomas Beecham, Leonard Bernstein, and Leopold Stokowski. Christopher Seaman brought to his 1997 appointment as R.P.O. music director experience as principal conductor of the BBC Scottish Symphony and the Northern Sinfonia. Beginning in 1987, he had served as Baltimore Symphony Orchestra conductor-in-residence. Performing more than 140 concerts per year, the R.P.O. addresses several constituencies. In addition to subscription symphony concerts, a pops program has grown under principal pops conductor Jeff Tyzik. To address the music education needs of the greater Rochester community, the orchestra has a principal conductor for education and outreach, the first such position among major American orchestras. In sum, more than 350,000 patrons are served by R.P.O. concerts each season, many of them first-time orchestra attendees.
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

Re: Sarah McLachlan Set List

#166936 2 years, 3 months ago
Building A Mystery
U want me 2 play
Answer
I will Remember You
Loving You Is Easy
Fallen
Hold On
World on Fire
Rivers of Love
Adia
Forgiveness
Sweet Surrender (Mellow Piano Only new arrangement awesome)
Love Come
Fear
Possession

Encore:

Bring on the Wonder
Angel
Ice Cream
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Zipster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Sarah McLachlan Set List

#166944 2 years, 3 months ago
Sarah is so great!!!
From Quebec:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zipster
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds