• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

The Mermen

#17440 3 years, 2 months ago
One of the Bay Area's greatest musical treasures IMO. Jim Thomas, the guitar player, has created a unique psychedelic universe that happens to be a great playground as well. He's another former bluegrass player and we talk it up about Clarence White, etc. whenever we cross paths.

I'm trying to decide if I should take a road trip this weekend to see them in Boonville and relax in the country, hang out with my Merfan friends and the band or to join my buddies for 2 bluegrass pick jams Friday and Saturday. Spring>Summer is full of these choices. The Mershow is a birthday bash for a super cool gal and the band doesn't play very often these days. Hmmmm

Anyway, it got me checking out some videos of my beloved Mermen and appreciating their magic once more..
Ladies and gentlemen...The Mermen

"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by sjfgreenman.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

Re: The Mermen

#17989 3 years, 2 months ago
Love the Mermen. Have you seen the Pyronauts? Caught them for the first time about 6 years ago when they opened for Dick Dale at the Mystic. They're really hot! So bummed we missed surf Sunday at the Hotel Utah last month! Have you heard Junior Brown do Surf Medley? He's something else.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Re: The Mermen

#18150 3 years, 2 months ago
I haven't seen the Pyronauts but have heard their name. I've been meaning to go to that Hotel Utah surf sunday for years, it's cool they have it in the afternoons.

The Mermen opened for Junior Brown down in Santa Cruz at The Rio a couple of years ago. Junior is a character and great player. I've seen him 4-5 times. His surf melody is fantastic and of course would have been even better that night if Jim had joined him. Can you imagine those two twanging it out together?

Did you go to the Beach Chalet Shitones Thursday night shows? I forget how many years that lasted, maybe 7-8 years and what a ride. Just down the block and free. Right on the Great Highway, Ocean Beach. Worst beer in SF but we had some amazing music happen on those nights with changing players and special guests.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds