• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Josh
Junior Boarder

Re: when the boys revive the Dead...

#38399 3 years, 4 months ago
I thank god every day that i don't have to sit through the god-awful drums/space segment anymore. One of the GD's worst ideas ever. It made the shows predictable and boring. And I love that Furthur had the good sense to do away with it.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#38400 3 years, 4 months ago
Josh wrote:
I thank god every day that i don't have to sit through the god-awful drums/space segment anymore. One of the GD's worst ideas ever. It made the shows predictable and boring. And I love that Furthur had the good sense to do away with it.

I’ve got to respectfully disagree with that one. While I don’t think Furthur would or should try to recreate Drums/Space, it was one of the highlights of many a show for me. Depends on your state of mind at the time I guess, and some were certainly better than others, but it was an integral part of my experience at GD shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#38464 3 years, 4 months ago
Yeah drums/space was definitely not predictable or boring to me. Each one was different, and it was always awesome to see where they would take it and how they would come out of it. Even if you were not of the frame of mind to enjoy it fully, it gave you a chance to explore a bit, one way or another.

Furthur has its exploratory moments, but I would still like to see them use technology a bit more to expand the experience in moderation.
Inner Listening4Knowledge
Fresh Boarder
"In Stillness all things can be known."

#38580 3 years, 4 months ago
I won't get in to the lineups again this post, after all Phil and Bobby are probably doubtlessly talking about that occasionally in sesshions already. But, I agree that I'd like to see JK really cut loose more and more. and if that means Russo slowing down, not subdividing so rigidly (which is good a lot of the time) then I am all for that.

With that said, listening to the Other Ones from 98, Kimock and Karan's interaction sometimes was pretty amazing. It will never happen. But sit in's with either one of them would be neat, even with JK. its such fun music to hear again that I have to say, I know it will happen again, how, I don't know, and that is part of the inter-webbed fun.
"Step 3: WHAT DO I REALLY KNOW?

Ask yourself what do I really know and distinguish
what you know from what you think or hope for or want for
yourself or your world, what you are afraid of, what you believe in,
what you cherish and what you value."
STEPS TO KNOWLEDGE-THE BOOK OF INNER KNOWING, the book of daily practice.
www.newmessage.org/books/steps-to-knowledge.php
Renliff
Fresh Boarder

#38585 3 years, 4 months ago
I am so happy with 7 walkers and Furthur. I think they should just keep p[lying the great music that they are doing now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs Deviled Egg
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#39223 3 years, 3 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Josh wrote:

I’ve got to respectfully disagree with that one. While I don’t think Furthur would or should try to recreate Drums/Space, it was one of the highlights of many a show for me. Depends on your state of mind at the time I guess, and some were certainly better than others, but it was an integral part of my experience at GD shows.

drums-->space was always hit ot miss for me. i remember some pretty incredible nights when drums-->space was a perfect complement to the flow of the show, and the band really came out of space swinging. other nights it was just a good time for a bathroom break. love it or hate it, i'm glad that Furthur isn't doing it.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#39247 3 years, 3 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
i guess the remaining members should do whatever makes them happy. but if they do some sort of reunion, they should not call themselves the GD, the Dead or anything that even implies the name Grateful Dead. for me the GD is a shell of its former self without Jerry. i mean absolutely no disrespect to Phil, Bob, Bill and Mickey by that statement... i love them all. but when Jerry passed so did the Grateful Dead.

When Jerry passed so did the Grateful Dead??? You must mean the name Grateful Dead...because the music has never stopped.. If I remember correctly, which I could be wrong but Jerry was not the only member of the Grateful Dead. The band didn't stop when PigPen died..given that many will say "Its not the same" but you see my point. Why even waste your money going to a show..is it so you can reminisce about the good old days and talk about "You young kids don't even know.....its not the same as when Jerry was here"

How about the simple fact that it is 2011 and there are 15 year old kids walking around lot singing He's Gone....or after a show a young kid tells you he got 3 or 4 songs on his wishlist.

The bus came by, I got on and thats when it all began....where is the verse about the bus stopping

Sorry for being a little bit of a smart ass...just really erks me when folks say its not the same...
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
The following user(s) said Thank You: captaintony, Mrs Deviled Egg, mountainjam28
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#40689 3 years, 3 months ago
www.jambands.com/news/2011/06/27/max-cre...-will-play-vibes-too

So five GD members are playing GOTV 2011. What would be really nice is seeing the Core Four (Weir, Lesh, Kreutzmann and Hart) with Donna, Chimenti, and Mattson jamming together at the Vibes. And then announcing an NYE Dead reunion show to prepare for the 2012 Obama re-election gigs. Why not? I mean why the heck not?
yatkoj
Junior Boarder

#40729 3 years, 3 months ago
that will be sick if they all played GOTV but they were all there last year too n i hoped for the same thing n it didnt happen it would be sick if it did tho.....
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#41646 3 years, 3 months ago
before the boys get the dead back on its feet, bobbys got unfinished RATDOG business, phils gotta work on terrapin landing, billy is having a blast with 7 walkers, and i hear mickey is getting a band together, so i suppose, itll be awhile away. im happy with furthur, but i jones RATDOG more than anything, i miss those ol' ratdog days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds