• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Cub
Senior Boarder

DAVE's Picks Vol.10/ Thelma 12/12/69

#323650 5 months, 4 weeks ago
The "Thelma" LA 12.12.69 m What an excellent pick for Pig Pen heads. The band.......
Tom Constanten: Keyboards
Jerry Garcia: Lead Guitar n Vocals
Mickey Hart n Bill Kreutzman: Drums
Phil Lesh: Electric Bass n Vocals
PigPen: Harmonica, Percussion, Vocals
Bob Weir: Rhythm Guitar n Vocals

There is plenty of friendly and funny banter and comments the from band It's nicely preserved in this 3 cd-set thanks to the hi-fidelity of Bear's talents for capture of each track. The 2 speaker stereo is a great way to listen to this show. The band images nicely in between the 2 speakers and there is no distortion.
I'm always curious as to how they pick a coveted bonus disc to include with our prepaid 1 year subscription. In this case the Bonus was tracks from the prior nights' show at the "Thelma" 12.11.69
1. Dark Star > (20:20)
2. St. Stephen >
3. The Eleven >
4. Cumberland Blues >
5. That's It for the Other One (24:06)
6. Cosmic Charlie

This a great choice for a 69 era show. I'm glad to have it. Now we have to digest it.

Cheers
HogBackHead
Junior Boarder

Re: DAVE's Picks Vol.10/ Thelma 12/12/69

#323708 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Listening to the bonus disc now. Just uploaded the whole 4 disc set of these two nights to my iTunes. So far (up to The Eleven) this phucker is superb ! Can't wait to hear the rest. Very nice, clean reproduction here.

Edit: First version I've heard of Next Time You See Me with Pig and Jerry sharing the lead vocal. Wish they'd done that more often. Also, sounds like they're playing a room the size of the old Keystone Palo Alto by the way the smattering of applause sounds between tunes.

Edit: Ok, so after listening to all four discs, pretty obvious that the bonus disc from 12/11 is the standard 1969 fare: Dark Star, St. Stephen, The Eleven, and so on while the 12/12 show is a "practice session" for the yet to be released Workingman's Dead album. Seems that many of those cuts are being rolled out so to speak and have either never been played live or not very often. Cumberland, Black Peter, High Time, Dire Wolf, Uncle John's all have a very early loose feel to them. Easy Wind, on the other hand, seems like it's been in the rotation for a while here with Pig singing confidently. Just a guess though. Cool to hear the early incarnations of those other Workingman's tunes played to a tiny crowd as the band works out what would end up being the core arrangements.
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by HogBackHead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#324588 5 months, 2 weeks ago
I think the Dark Star and the Other One on the bonus disc are pretty interesting jams, even by '69 standards. Overall, a very satisfying release IMO.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#324651 5 months, 2 weeks ago
I am just now getting to volume 9

5/14/74 man what an experimental show this was. In addition to the Playin and Dark Star craziness, Keith is doing all kinds of weird stuff this entire show. I love the archived news articles included in the liner notes. Good stuff!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds