• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
TylerTerrapinCurtis
Junior Boarder
Tyler Curtis

Railroad Earth Appreciation Thread

#4901 3 years, 5 months ago
Buy the ticket, take the ride..."
ShakedownBlog.com
Lynx
Visitor

Re: Railroad Earth Appreciation Thread

#4930 3 years, 5 months ago
there ain't nothin' sweeter than ridin' on the rail!
Lynx
Visitor

#4936 3 years, 5 months ago
I had this WEIRD PROBABLY NON-SENSICAL thought about RRE the other day. I think they are my new... and I can't believe I'm about to type this... John Denver. There I said it. Let me explain....

My father was/is a huge John Denver fan and by association so am I. I've seen him in concert 4 times and own just about every album/recording he has done. After John died my father was crushed. I remember going out to eat with him at this little seafood place and he got to talking about what a loss he felt at John's passing. I remember Dad saying something to the effect of "No one else writes songs like he did. They were like love songs for nature."

This always stuck with me BC it's true. John loved, understood, and sang about nature in a way that no other artist could. Being the outdoor enthusiast that I am it was/is hard not to respect someone who unabashedly loved the outdoors as much as John obviously did. I still like John Denver and occasionally go on a little "JD and JD" kick (if you get what I mean). Even though it is not my normal type of music I just can't not like lyrics like those in "Rhymes and Reasons," ""The Seasons Suite," "Matthew," "Looking for Space," "The Mountain Song," (a VERY different Mountain Song than the one Furthur is currently doing!), and yes even old standards like "Rocky Mountain high" or "Annie's Song". His simple, kind, outdoor-related lyrics have never been matched. I think one of the reasons I like the GD so much is the heavy dose of nature that you get in so many of their songs. I don't think anyone can deny that the GD draws heavily on nature for imagery and symbolism.

Anyway, I feel that RRE has stepped up to fill that void. Songs like "Walk Beside Me," "Chains," "The Good Life" and "happy Song" have lyrics that if you told me John Denver wrote them i'd believe it. They are simple, sweet, almost child-like in their tone. Then mix in environmentally sensitive songs like "The Forecast" or a face-stealing "Black Bear" and there you go! NOT THE SAME STYLE MUSIC AT ALL!!! I"M NOT SAYING THAT!!!! I just saying that, well, if John Denver were still alive he would be a hobo.

AND A QUESTION FOR YOU TTC : Since I know you have insider access to the band, can you ask Todd why they only rarely do "Ballad of St. Anne's Reel" (they should do it more!) and when they do perform it it's an instrumental?!!? This is originally a David Mallet song (although I first heard it done by... you guessed it... John Denver) and has truly awesome lyrics that I think Todd would hit out of the park. Seriously. I want an answer.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by .
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#6006 3 years, 5 months ago
Ohhh mama, aint it good to be alive! (a repeat of a reply i posted on another post, but still fitting)

RRE will be hitting Gratefulfest at Nelsons Ledges QP and Del Fest in Cumberland, MD. Should be a great year for festival season!
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#6144 3 years, 5 months ago
Thanks alot man, good stuff!
Don McGurrin
Fresh Boarder

#6254 3 years, 5 months ago
One of my favorite bands out there today.
Bud
Junior Boarder

#6264 3 years, 5 months ago
I love R.R.E cant wait til the 10th anniversary show in Montclair.
Lynx
Visitor

#6470 3 years, 5 months ago
So good. As a newbie mando player this intimidates me....
CinnamonGirl53
Junior Boarder

#6745 3 years, 5 months ago
love their energy!
*pict groover*
Deadphishie55
Junior Boarder

#6817 3 years, 5 months ago
They are easily one of the best and most talented bands going. I would recommend anyone catch them anytime they are in 100 miles of them at least!
Time to create page: 1.31 seconds