• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
jodiah
Expert Boarder

My Brother Esau

#75191 2 years, 10 months ago
Besides Lazy Lighning>Supplication, I would love to hear My Brother Esau! That was one of my favorite Bobby songs from the 80's. I've always loved the Dead songs with Biblical references and I would love to hear a modern version of that song. It tells a great story.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: My Brother Esau

#75207 2 years, 10 months ago
we've been pulling for it for quite a while, getting a full on tease in broomfield CO this year and it was also discussed with bob in an interview during the break at the furthur TRI show on 6/7 of this year...he mentioned something about getting together with barlow and rewriting some of the lyrics
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#75482 2 years, 10 months ago
wlewis wrote:
we've been pulling for it for quite a while, getting a full on tease in broomfield CO this year and it was also discussed with bob in an interview during the break at the furthur TRI show on 6/7 of this year...he mentioned something about getting together with barlow and rewriting some of the lyrics

Sweet! Thanks for the info wlewis!
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#75672 2 years, 10 months ago
wlewis wrote:

it was actually from Bob's Triday the 13th broadcast and what happened is one of the questions asked to Bob was about that song and Bob said he thinks the song needs to be rewritten and Barlow said "well I don't know - a lot of people like that song" ..... Barlow didn't seem to agree about it being rewritten and then Bob said something like "ill haggle him about this later"
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#75678 2 years, 10 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
wlewis wrote:

it was actually from Bob's Triday the 13th broadcast and what happened is one of the questions asked to Bob was about that song and Bob said he thinks the song needs to be rewritten and Barlow said "well I don't know - a lot of people like that song" ..... Barlow didn't seem to agree about it being rewritten and then Bob said something like "ill haggle him about this later"

was there a furthur thing on the 7th? what was the triday? i bought a webcast once and it stunk...but i do remember that interview with the lame host
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#75740 2 years, 10 months ago
Definitely a great song, would love to see it come back around. Hopefully Bobby will get his issues with the words straightened out.

Shadow BOXIN the apocalypse , wandering the LAAAAAAAAAND
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#76152 2 years, 10 months ago
wlewis wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
wlewis wrote:

was there a furthur thing on the 7th? what was the triday? i bought a webcast once and it stunk...but i do remember that interview with the lame host

yes Furthur played 6/7 but there was no intermission, Triday the 13th was 5/13/11 and was the initial trial on tristudios..... it was free and started with Bob solo then more musicians joined throughout the night including..... Rob Wasserman, Jay Lane, Robin Sylvester, a few horn players from his Marin Symphony show, Steve Kimock, Jeff Chimenti..... and it had an intermission with Bob answering questions but before that they had this skit that was bugging me out hardcore...... this guy was going room to room looking for Bob, I'm not even going to try to explain how, but it was trippy as hell....

This broadcast was really good, I highly doubt this is the one your thinking of that stunk, plus it was free and you said you bought one that stunk.... maybe the slightly stoopid? (I thought that one was alright - intermission with Tommy Chong was pretty far out....)
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#76160 2 years, 10 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
wlewis wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
wlewis wrote:

yes Furthur played 6/7 but there was no intermission, Triday the 13th was 5/13/11 and was the initial trial on tristudios..... it was free and started with Bob solo then more musicians joined throughout the night including..... Rob Wasserman, Jay Lane, Robin Sylvester, a few horn players from his Marin Symphony show, Steve Kimock, Jeff Chimenti..... and it had an intermission with Bob answering questions but before that they had this skit that was bugging me out hardcore...... this guy was going room to room looking for Bob, I'm not even going to try to explain how, but it was trippy as hell....

This broadcast was really good, I highly doubt this is the one your thinking of that stunk, plus it was free and you said you bought one that stunk.... maybe the slightly stoopid? (I thought that one was alright - intermission with Tommy Chong was pretty far out....)

ah you are correct now i remember...i bought the furthur one...but triday was the free one that slipped my mind...i remember him trying to find bob, and bob was in a room with a bunch of younger girls, pretty sure one was a daughter...it was the guy asking the questions that i thought was lame...i remember he said he wanted to hear esau so bob shot back a question or two about what the song means and the guy had absolutely no clue, repeating a chorus line or something...just kind of made an ass of himself, and i believe that's when bob was like "anyways, might need to rework lyrics.." or somehting along those lines, obviously side-stepping it
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#76493 2 years, 10 months ago
lol yea that's exacly what he said "it's about shadowboxing the apocalypse and wandering the land" ------ he may have been pretty lame, and he was the one in the little skit thing but there was something about it that made it seem like it was totally designed to bug people out, but of course this could of had a lot to do with me as well
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#80697 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:

i think it would sound great. its a hell of a song. and jeff should play that filler like brent did so and let it shine. the song really is complete cause of billy and mick. and brent. but phil, jerry, and bob skated through. brother to brother, and its man to man
sister to mother and uncle to aunt. the lyrics seem cool just as is. but if he was a hairy man or father didnt favor essau....i dodnt see how the amazing melodies in the music will ever be topped. just a great piece of music.
bobbys vocals make it so great. the lyrics he is singing really dont matter in the end. sometimes at night i dew dream i am still that hairy man...i always have.lol
Time to create page: 1.11 seconds