• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Harmony
Fresh Boarder

Re: String bands...

#9519 3 years, 6 months ago
The Avett Brothers
Langhorne Slim
The Builders and the Butchers
Old Crow Medicine Show

Keller Williams - take a listen to this:
kellerwilliams.net/sites/default/files/KWMDS_Tribe_0.mp3
I have no selfish memorandum...no confusion for me.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Harmony.
Don McGurrin
Fresh Boarder

#9756 3 years, 6 months ago
Lynx wrote:
"Railroad Earth- They used to be my favorite but have been losing me the last 2 albums...somethings missing for me and I hope they get it back...Tim needs to stay away from the electric guitar and keep fiddling..they are all top knotch players and Todd's lyrics are deep"

Thanks again for your detailed response. I agree with almost everything you wrote. I did want to respond to your thoughts on Railroad Earth though. First off I agree that Todd's song writing is top notch. As far as Tim staying away from the electric guitar and the sound of the last two albums... well, I agree that the sound has changed a bit, but I like it (a lot). I think it may just be the evolution of the project. I think every band changes as it matures. Tim's use of the electric guitar, plus the addition of Andrew Altman, who sometimes uses the electric bass instead of the stand-up bass, has added a more rock-and-roll sound. Again, while some (I think a minority) of older RRE fans are bothered by this, I think the band's new material is great and so it has only increased my enjoyment of the band. They still play plenty of "old school" RRE sounding stuff and mixing in the "newer sound" has helped them expand their fan base. RRE was never a bluegrass band of course, and so the hard-core Bluegrass fans never really came out in droves to see them. All the while they were far to Bluegrass for most "mainstream" fans (ie deadheads). Thus the band has been/is stuck in between these two worlds...playing great music that slips between genres. Is it possible that they needed to become a little more mainstream to either (a) increase their fan-base or (b)remain economically viable (something I hope they do so they will be around for a LONG time)? I don't know but whatever the reason was for changing the sound I just love it and RESPECTFULLY disagree that "something is missing". The last time I saw RRE was in White River Junction, VT. They played in this old barn (Tupelo music hall) next to the river. Some old train tracks ran along the river and there was a few long-ago-aboandonded railcars laying around too which added ambiance. The snow was lightly falling and the band put on a show that I will never forget. Great music, great friends. Oh and I spoke to Todd outside before the show and asked why the show was announced just a couple of weeks before it happened. He said that they (the band) wanted to go skiing so they decided to put on a show last minute! Love the spontaneity. Don't get too down on Railroad!

And in response to: "Emmit Nershi band..Now that they have Johnny Grubb on bass watch out..hot damn I love this band"

I haven't heard to much of these guys yet, but what little I have heard is good. Definitely gonna check them out when I can. But I wonder why Johnny Grubb left RRE under the auspices of wanting to spend more time with his growing family and to pursue a career in computer software design (or something like that) only end up playing with another band. I've thought of asking this question on Earthboard but am afraid it will look like I am trying to start trouble, which I am not. Then again, there is no dumb-assed "karma button" on Earthboard so perhaps it is this board that I should be afraid to ask stuff on (rant over).
Thanks again.

I have been a fan of RRE from the beginning. When I saw them for the first time it was something like their 8th show. I am not a big fan of the electric stuff but it has not kept me away. I seem to be one of the few that don't like the change. I like the "Railroad Earth" a lot more than "Amen Corner". I can understand the need to increase their fan. They will need to do this to keep going. So many other bands have changed their sound over the years and it has worked out for them that it may just do that for RRE.

As far as Johnny Grubb leaving RRE, this just my thought on the matter. Part of his leaving was that he never really wanted to be a full time touring band ( He said this when he left). Yeah he wanted and I think he still is doing computer software stuff. He brought a lot to RRE and brought them up a level. He was not their first bass player. People where worried when Dave Von Dollen left what would happen. When RRE started recording their own shows and selling sound boards Grubb had a lot to with it. He was a sharp guy in the studio as well. Also with Emitt Nershi band they will not be playing nearly as many dates a year as RRE will allowing him to spend more time with his family.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#15387 3 years, 6 months ago
Here's some smokin' string band stuff I just came across...just in time for the weekend!

iclips.net/watch/bluegrassball-3-13-2011

iclips.net/watch/headforthehills-3-13-2011
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16318 3 years, 6 months ago
sjfgreenman wrote:

Hickory Project...ever changing lineup but always excellent...some of the players are in a GD bluegrass cover band

Hickory Project is Anthony Hannigan, Dave Cavage, Coleman Smith, Mark Morris and Steve Belcher. Anything else is not the official HP lineup but rather Hickory Light, ha ha. Jeff Wisor and Dave Hampton (both of which are some heavy hitters themselves, lol) happen to fill in when C-Man is home in TX and Mark is home in CO or off heli-skiing the craziest peaks around the globe. The only person in this band playing in a cover band is Anthony, who plays Fiddle in Garcia Grass which is not a GD tribute but rather an Old & In The Way tribute that throws a few GD/JGB covers in the mix.

I was just listening to this show earlier today feat the first ever complete Bluegrass State Of Mind. Timeless stuff. Dave reminds me of Hunter in that he can paint a great vision, tell a great story and make it timeless.

www.archive.org/details/TheHickoryProjec...AtScrantonFirstNight
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#16443 3 years, 6 months ago
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

The Hickory Project tracks i have that I practice along to have Billy Gilmore and Sue Cunningham in the band and Andy is playing with them.

maybe it's an offshoot band...or an earlier Hickory Project? They are fiends of HP but are they former members?

Gilmore plays with a band called Crazy Fingers

Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by sjfgreenman.
furthuronuptheroad
Fresh Boarder

#16515 3 years, 6 months ago
rumpke mountain boys.....cincinnatti ohio

they cover everything from the dead to tom waits. check out some vids from youtube..

not to mention the several shows on the archive...

my favorite part about them is how at our local festivals they play all night....their record set length is over 9 hours.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandee823
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#16541 3 years, 6 months ago
Here's a show with the formation of Hickory Project I mentioned..
Check out the Angeline the Baker...they take it waaaay out there at the end...Billy starts teasing Hendrix, others in the solo..he has some guitar lesson videos on youtube, he's one hell of a flatpicker

www.archive.org/details/thp2006-06-06.sbd.flac16

If you check this show out, make sure you listen to the 1st tune Bangers+Mash, too...that's what we're talking about!

one more, from Dublin
www.archive.org/details/thp2005-08-28.sbd.flac16
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by sjfgreenman.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16696 3 years, 6 months ago
To be fair, Hickory Project is just that, a project - created and devoted to the spreading of this music across the globe. So technically there is no set lineup as it can change at anytime, lol. So that said....

A lot has changed with Hickory Project that you must not yet know, lol. They are very close personal friends of ours (As is Billy Gilmore) so, I know a little bit about this band, lol. ;0)

The lineup you speak of is long gone. The lineup I mentioned below is what has risen from those ashes. Billy is currently playing with Uproot Hootenanny in FL right now. He plays with Crazy Fingers and HP whenever his schedule allows as well. Just listen to that link I posted. Bluegrass State Of Mind, Hard In The Mines, Dawgapelli, Vassar Hop and especially listen to Coleman straight fuckin KILL that Farr Brother Blues. Just to name a few gems off that show. And what an incredible night it was, snow falling huge wet flakes, we all stood there together after the show as the fireworks exploded in the snowy sky. One of Marks first shows with the band out east. Might have been his second or third but he hadn't played many shows by that point. And this was the first time they busted out BGSOM with the lyrics too.

This band is truly nothing short of amazing.

Let your eyes fest upon this: LASERGRASS!!!!!

Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#16700 3 years, 6 months ago

There's another video, Frank Wakefield playing with Hickory Project last summer at NEPA Bluegrass Fest.
Matter of fact they're all playing together Sat with Jeff Wisor on fiddle.
Chester
More or less in line

#16702 3 years, 6 months ago
Good stuff Nupsdog. Hey, keep us posted on any Garcia Grass show info. I would love to see those guys again.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds