• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
katie mae
Junior Boarder
Posts:110

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#149510 2 years, 4 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i have never been to the beacon but from the jist of this thread, i would assume that you cant smoke no2 inside, and furthur now imploys scalpers to buy up xtraz.
seems logical.
OR, some interent people have way to much time to try and put 2 and 2 together to get 5.
there are ALOT of people in every city that are invovled in scalping, but i dont think the band has anything to do with it. BGCC, might turn a blind eye to employess making a buck on the side, but thats all just hersey. i bet you could get fired for steppin over the line, or not kickin up a percentage to the boss.
either way, i totally doubt the boys have any knowledge, or care.

illuminaughty, I'm confused. Wasn't it you saying that scalping was a really bad thing upthread? So if - if - the band knew that this was happening and didn't do anything or didn't care about it (as you said above), how are you okay with that? I'm not looking for a fight, I just don't understand your comment since you seemed earlier to be very anti-scalping.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder
Posts:294

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#149543 2 years, 4 months ago
Tom Banjo wrote:
gvanman wrote:
now I feel bad. Sorry for havin' fun at your expense. I apoligize. But one thing, you said you did indeed run. And that you didn't lie. Wasn't the running out on the third incident?


--Don't feel bad.. you were misled. Perhaps give the next guy more of a chance and then pass it on

I went to Monday's show.. did not get thrown out.. pretty much danced the way I was on the other days. I got thrown out of Tuesday's & Sunday's shows. I got thrown out of 2 shows. I have not lied. I am not a liar. Many people have assumed many things of me without knowing me. I am NOT Allen Sun. I did NOT start the post about Vending, nitrous or showing up at the shows without tickets. Also, I am NOT sure how to delete my account. I E-mailed the support to see if they will respond. If any of you who really wanted me to leave, please give me the method and I will. Otherwise I will just not log on anymore. Hey, honestly, I don't want to stick around somewhere where I am not liked. I REALLY am someone who would rather be told not be around. I only feel comfortable around people who are kind.



Hey Tom Banjo, if you're a deadhead you're around your own kind. Stick around.
These are the good old days!!
kevin
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3296

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#149607 2 years, 4 months ago
the band has spoken, this thread is redundant, I am looking forward to 8 more next spring.
it obviously works despite it's flaws
-- smell every flower --
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Posts:420
Neon Light Diamond

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#149761 2 years, 4 months ago
I can't read through this whole thread because low battery, and I'm gonna try and say what I have to say quickly for the same reason. Not only did I get kicked out of The Beacon, I also got very badly manhandled There's no grey area about what happened to me. A security guard had taken an unreasonable dislike to me from the get go. He tried to have me evicted on day one(Thursday) for supposedly not having a ticket(because I let someone sit in my seat who thenrefused to leave claiming they would get thrown out), but someone else managed to get the jerk security to stop, but he was calling me names and getting all up in my face. On Tuesday he just TOOK my ticket & then said he was kicking me out because I didn't have a ticket(!). The more I insisted that of course I had a ticket(an of course i was acting VERY upset) he just went & involved others& thenthey insisted that since I couldn't show them my ticket(cuz he took it) that I was delusional very bad experience all around
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by ruby_claire.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder
Posts:294

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#149772 2 years, 4 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I can't read through this whole thread because low battery, and I'm gonna try and say what I have to say quickly for the same reason. Not only did I get kicked out of The Beacon, I also got very badly manhandled There's no grey area about what happened to me. A security guard had taken an unreasonable dislike to me from the get go. He tried to have me evicted on day one(Thursday) for supposedly not having a ticket(because I let someone sit in my seat who thenrefused to leave claiming they would get thrown out), but someone else managed to get the jerk security to stop, but he was calling me names and getting all up in my face. On Tuesday he just TOOK my ticket & then said he was kicking me out because I didn't have a ticket(!). The more I insisted that of course I had a ticket(an of course i was acting VERY upset) he just went & involved others& thenthey insisted that since I couldn't show them my ticket(cuz he took it) that I was delusional very bad experience all around



I'd believe anything about the Beacon "security" people. Before these Furthur shows the last time I went there was the two Jorma 70th B-day Hot Tuna shows in Dec 2010. Our seats were by the side doors. We saw so many people literally thrown out those side doors over the course of two shows it made us wonder what people were doing to get tossed. The guy in the row in front of me lit up a joint and the security people were all over him in seconds. Last December Hot Tuna played there again with many special guests and we decided to skip it.

I only went to the Furthur 4/15 show. I had seats straight back behind the soundboard. I didn't see much security at all and nobody around me got hassled.

It would take a special show for me to go back to the Beacon. If Furthur plays there again I would certainly try to go, but for most shows, I'll skip it. It's a beautiful historic theater, but I'll go to other venues were I can relax more.
These are the good old days!!
Tom Banjo
Visitor

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#149782 2 years, 4 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I can't read through this whole thread because low battery, and I'm gonna try and say what I have to say quickly for the same reason. Not only did I get kicked out of The Beacon, I also got very badly manhandled There's no grey area about what happened to me. A security guard had taken an unreasonable dislike to me from the get go. He tried to have me evicted on day one(Thursday) for supposedly not having a ticket(because I let someone sit in my seat who thenrefused to leave claiming they would get thrown out), but someone else managed to get the jerk security to stop, but he was calling me names and getting all up in my face. On Tuesday he just TOOK my ticket & then said he was kicking me out because I didn't have a ticket(!). The more I insisted that of course I had a ticket(an of course i was acting VERY upset) he just went & involved others& thenthey insisted that since I couldn't show them my ticket(cuz he took it) that I was delusional very bad experience all around


Hey, I am sorry that happened to you. I know many folks on this string of posts do not know what went on at that venue. Some of it is just so hard to believe. I was hoping in time folks would come and see this string and post their own experiences. Because some people saw nothing, does not mean it didnt occur! I personally know of many folks who received extremely poor treatment from security. The same happened with me, once I was targetted, it was hopeless. I could NOT get in my seat and it was only a matter of time before the security guard took his self-made frustrations out on me.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#150087 2 years, 4 months ago
Honestly, the Village Voice review that was posted seems to go right along with what I have been saying... in fact the guy referred to the Beacon as a bummer. I am sorry I used harsh language, but my post was that The Beacon was NOT a good place to have Dead show if dancing is shunned and people are randomly being thrown out for doing what the rest of the crowd is doin. I agree that the nitrous mafia makes hippies & deadheads look bad and although I am not against vending ro showing up without tickets, especially since scalpers sold the shows out in less than an hour... but I do think the nitrous makes us bad to the rest of the world... as is evidenced by this article and the other arrticle that was posted with it.
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder
Posts:194

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#150830 2 years, 4 months ago
katie mae wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
McGanahanSkjellyfetti wrote:
83msg1sttyme wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
83msg1sttyme wrote:
it s not about dancing being dangerous itsabout being obnoxious,annoying your fellow concert goers and blocking the aisles,which like it or not need to be clear in case of an emergency,like i said earlier the twilers and the "wild " dancers are welcome and they always relegated themselves to the areas that wer open so they had room to do their thing without bothering anyone else,some people think a show is an excuse to have a free for all its not its a minicommunity and we all need to get along in it,this aint rocket science.as for vending ,vending to get from show to show is okay but the people who basicly show up to just sell and take money out of the community arent welcome,just like scalpers if you dont buy from them they will go away. i weap for anyone who is paying 200 bucks for a ticket,you may think its worth it too YOU but you hurt EVERYONE else when you do it.doing the right thing isnt always easy thats why evil does such a booming buisness


I have to ask you to let go of the ticket thing. Its not the "wrong thing" to spend your hard earned money the way you see fit. Stop acting like you are a better person than me or someone else cuz you wont Pay more than face for a ticket. That has nothing to do with being good or bad, right or wrong. I "weep" for you if you judge someone on what price they pay for a concert ticket. Im sure you realize how absurd and childish that is, right? Not trying to get nasty man, but really ive already said i buy tickets however i need to if i want to go. So everytime you make these statements i take them as you personally telling me what a horrible person i am for spending my own money how i please. Does that make sense? Do you think that is ok?
if you dont like my opinions dont read them the reason you take it personal is deep down you know its wrong your just trying to justify it by repeating it over and over. i will not be censored by you or anyone else


You shouldn't have to worry about your opinions being censored. Your opinions make good sense. If you come here trying to rationalize your support of ticket scalpers you're going to be met with resistance. If the run at the Beacon doesn't point out there's a problem then I don't know what would. I think there's a consensus here that there was some back room deals being made to allow certain commerce to happen. Unfortunately Beacon management, ticketmaster, stub hug (and scalpers in general), as well as the nitrous mafia don't share the ideals of our scene, and see us as easy pickings. Just like the NYPD does.
Sad, but true, you get taken to jail if you're smoking a joint on the street, but if you want to fall down sucking nitrous on city property, being vended by a bunch of goons shouting "ice cold, get 'em here" that seems to be ok with the NYPD/city of New York. Please, don't support nitrous mafia and ticket scalpers.


I'm not trying to censor anybody, I asked politely, you declined, end of story. Relax. I can't censor or make anyone do anything. And I sure as shit do not need to justify what I do with my money to anyone. I will leave one more thought on the subject. If you consider scalping so bad, why do you not place the blame on the band? You must realize that they know this will happen if they play small places, especially in NY. They played MSG on a Friday n Saturday and there was plenty of tickets for all. Even at Radio City there may have been enough tickets. The fact is, the band understands that this is a business, they have for a long time now. They set up an 8 night run, knowing that tickets would be at a premium. One reason why TXRoads has adopted a ticketing system like at Levon's Rambles. The factis I am not placing blame on the band or anybody else. Business is supply and demand. If you think Furthur or GD should live in a special bubble outside of that, then why shouldn't the band themselves? They sure sell enough shit, so it's obvious they are not against making a buck. So until you want to place some of the blame on the band, you do not make any sense in your argument. If I enable scalping, then the band does as well to a greater degree. Do you disagree?

Just a quick comment about this scalping issue, though I know it wasn't the main intent of this thread. During the New Year's run this past December, my friend went up to the ticket/will call window area to linger around because he was trying to sell some extra tickets he had for that run (combo of online tix and mail order good luck). He was shocked when Furthur's front of house manager came out through one of the front side doors, met with a dude, exchanged money for a handful of tickets, and went back inside. The dude went back to trawling the line, looking for people who needed extra tickets and when my friend saw him and realized he was a scalper, he put two and two together. Make of it what you will. To us it appeared that someone closely tied to the Band's management was fueling the scalpers with whatever extra tickets were on hand the day of. If that was the case, and I can't think of any other reason for a Band rep to take money from an obvious scalper and then give him a handful of tickets, then the Band is complicit in this nonsense too, even if Bobby and Phil might not know about it.

The point is, the Band and all its worker bees makes a shitload of money off of all of us, and while we'd like to think there is some higher hippy-esque guiding principles in place, I think that there's a lot of stuff that happens, management enabling scalpers to name but one, that goes on that Bobby and Phil might not even ever hear about. And if they did, would they crack down on it? Would they fire the offending person(s)? This thing is getting so big that there's no way they can keep their fingers on the pulse of every aspect, that's why they have managers who run various arms of the operation. But what do we do, as a community, when we see corruption within their own organization? Is anyone in the Band going to believe what my friend saw and do anything about it? (That's a rhetorical question, BTW, I'm not expecting an answer).


Nothing would surprise me anymore in terms of who's taking a little more off the top (the band themselves excluded), who's palm is getting greased, etc.

As far as the band and their "worker bees" making a shitload of money off us, I wouldn't make that a blanket statement. There are plenty of people who work for the band that make a decent salary, but they aren't getting rich, and sometimes their job is pretty demanding. I would agree that if the band were aware of their personnel engaged in practices as you described they would be terminated.
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder
Posts:194

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#150843 2 years, 4 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I can't read through this whole thread because low battery, and I'm gonna try and say what I have to say quickly for the same reason. Not only did I get kicked out of The Beacon, I also got very badly manhandled There's no grey area about what happened to me. A security guard had taken an unreasonable dislike to me from the get go. He tried to have me evicted on day one(Thursday) for supposedly not having a ticket(because I let someone sit in my seat who thenrefused to leave claiming they would get thrown out), but someone else managed to get the jerk security to stop, but he was calling me names and getting all up in my face. On Tuesday he just TOOK my ticket & then said he was kicking me out because I didn't have a ticket(!). The more I insisted that of course I had a ticket(an of course i was acting VERY upset) he just went & involved others& thenthey insisted that since I couldn't show them my ticket(cuz he took it) that I was delusional very bad experience all around


After the Sunday night show I was walking down Amsterdam, outside the Beacon and heard a security guy (or else Beacon vender) say "I can't wait until this crowd is out of here" I asked him what he meant, and I think taken aback a bit he said "wow, you guys sure know how to party". I tried to find out what he meant by the comment about wanting all of us gone, but he kind of skirted the question.

There's two major problems that go with Furthur wherever they seem to play. The first is the demand that comes with them playing vs. the size of the venue. This was so in evidence at the Beacon, i.e demand was way higher than the supply, and of course the debate as to distribution of tickets to us vs. scalpers. The other issue is the Furthur crowd likes to spark up, and a place like the Beacon (recently renovated) doesn't want your hot embers burning the upholstery of their seats, or carpets, etc. which I can understand. That being said I think the only solution is to have shows in an outdoor venue (MCU or Jones Beach) or MSG, where there is nothing to burn as it's all plastic/metal/cement. Plus MSG can handle the demand, is a premier venue (want to talk about musical history), the energy is intense, and the band are more often on their A game when they play there.
So my vote is no more Best Buy or the Beacon and make MSG the official indoor venue in NYC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
deadegad
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1538

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#151519 2 years, 4 months ago
The Beacon is too small. MSG or Radio City are better choices for getting us inside. MSG might be too big for an eight show run for them to sell out. Maybe they would have to do a price adjustment on ticketing to make it work.
Time to create page: 1.25 seconds