• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Regarding repeats

#197726 2 years ago
Lots of comments last night about the repeats. FYI...everthing is always a repeat!!!! Unless its a new song breakout. I've seen
for example 40 Terrapins over the years..60 playins & UJB .... god knows how many NFA's............
dprime23
Fresh Boarder

Re: Regarding repeats

#197733 2 years ago
Good point, I am definitely not one to say what they should or should not play, hell I wish they played the same song twice in a night sometimes. I feel, though, that it makes a greater story told if there aren't so many repeats in a tour run. I feel it makes a more intricate tapestry of sound if all the characters are included instead of a few familiar favorites that get recycled throughout the tour run. For example: why no more Stella or biodtl? Where is my uncle in south Colorado? But to counter my own question good ole' gd dropped a ton of good tunes that we are fortunate enough to get to hear today, so it's all relative.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#197760 2 years ago
There's a context to repeats, correct? From '67-'69, they had 30-50 songs in their lexicon, and many nights had 80% similar setlists. And then there is the tendency for rock concerts to be the same night after night. Besides the great exploration of those songs each night, you wouldn't have known to wish for things not to repeat. Now that Furthur might have 150-250 tracks in their library, it is reasonable that:
1) you won't get a OMSN every Saturday night
2) cities and places won't have cornerstone tracks applied to them
3) within the first six days of a tour, there won't be many repeats

But since I'm a Primal Dead nut, I'm torn on this. I'm okay with hearing the same tracks night after night because I trust in the exploration. The cut of that is I'm fine with it as long as the repeats are tracks I like in the first place. When I consider all the songs I wouldn't want to pay to see, I get more okay with hearing Viola Lee a couple times a week. In a way, I'm cool with them culling the library. The result could be pretty damn cool.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#197765 2 years ago
i prefer less repeats so early in a tour, but last night's repeats were really good ones. Shakedown > Stranger to open.... hell yeah!!! Viola... I never get tired of it (although last night's version was very short and they didn't finish it, only got the first two verses). Althea, didn't mind hearing again at all.

i absolutely think they should have played less repeats, but it's ok with me that they did.

since the band doesn't directly write the setlists these days i wonder if Bobby or Phil were surprised at the number of repeats. but if they weren't ok with it i'm sure they would have adjusted accordingly.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#197767 2 years ago
In 1977 they played the shit out of Estimated which would probably have bothered me, but I only saw one show in 77. If I was doing the entire fall tour, knowing how big their catalog is I'd be dissappointed.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Last Edit: 2 years ago by dr bakes.
Connor
Junior Boarder

#197774 2 years ago
Depending on the song I don't really mind repeats. Except this summer in Chicago... I'm pretty sure they played EVERY song at least once since the dead tour in 2009... except maybe HCS.

Blues_Power wrote:
Viola... I never get tired of it (although last night's version was very short and they didn't finish it, only got the first two verses).

They played all three. Just really spread out.

archive.org/details/furthur2012-09-28.adk-tl.larson.flac16
Sure don't know, what I'm goin' for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#197777 2 years ago
Anyone who is complaining about anything played last night needs to get off the bus, go sit down, and think about shit, really, really hard.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#197790 2 years ago
if the band really donst have imput on the setlists i think THAT is my problem with furthur as of late. now i have no idea who makes up thier setlists, always assumed it was them. is that stupid. i go see anyband or musician i assume they decide what to play.
who the hell decides what furthur plays?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#197793 2 years ago
illuminaughty wrote:
if the band really donst have imput on the setlists i think THAT is my problem with furthur as of late. now i have no idea who makes up thier setlists, always assumed it was them. is that stupid. i go see anyband or musician i assume they decide what to play.
who the hell decides what furthur plays?

They Must have some type of program that allows them to know what and when a song has been played. I doubt they sit down and look at the 300 songs and pick every nite. The difference with Furthur and the GD is the song placement. I never saw Scarlet in the first set ever. But in the early years of playing the song, it was in the first set.

One thing I will mention is the help >Slip...>Slip> Franlklins sandwich is becoming very very predictable.

Let me qualify this by saying I do not mind it... Predictability is fine with me. In fact, sometimes the unpredictable 'weird' song placement throws off my internal computer.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years ago by newyawker.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#197798 2 years ago
SOMEONE is writing setlists.
you dont get shit like that frank>slip>whole rest of set>slip>franklins unless someones writing it.
and what about scarlet>china>rider>otherstuff>fire on the mnt.
too many others to type.

and no computer program would torture me by splitting viola up into 3 parts. (i love the song, i just dont like predecitable setlists)

i am listening to RR, and first night of edgefield, and i gotta say,
FURTHUR KICKS ASSS
maybe i was just down on em, cause im too broke to do all the shows i want, so i said fuck it.
or i need to get laid.
but that last night at RR is epic. second set would have been worth the weekend.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds