• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Typ0
Junior Boarder

Visionaries and plans

#230317 1 year, 7 months ago
The below was originally posted in a show thread but thought it deserved a life of it's own as my analysis of what is happening might be interesting to many of us.

I think the boys are just enjoying playing with the young un's. We are witnessing a new growth from the Grateful Dead tradition that amounts to a passing of the torch. Additionally, these men are visionaries who are changing the landscape of the music industry and it's reliance on record sales. They are essentially solving the problems digital music presents and being real in their art as opposed to enhanced studio falsities. I expect they are testing the waters for what they will roll out in the future right now.

First, Jeff C. is slowly finding the missing magic that was lost when Jerry died. The guy is electric and I am seeing the magic in his fingers which is amazing. Vocally, I would say the band is weak but musically and instrumentally they are Dead on. What we are witnessing is a true morph of a band from one to the other one. An analogy I can think of would be AC/DC when they rolled out the homage album to Bon Scott with Back in Black. It was instantaneous for them and it just worked. Well Furthur is really starting to work now. At the end of the day they are looking to build another rich performance tradition in front of a lot of fans and in a lot of venues with the addition of one major channel not previously explored by any band with the exception of isolated events-- pay per view.

Furthur is driving to deliver a pay per view experience for their fans never before experienced in the music industry. In such they will be selling their live performance to millions more people's throughout the course of the performance seasons. And instead of the rote deliverance of the same show over and over like most bands perform while on tour ... further will build on the Grateful traditions by generating revenue streams beyond the CD aisle at Walmart--something every one of those other non jam bands would love to figure out!

I am just suggesting the potential of the genius of the people working on the Grateful project for so many years. In the final few decades we have living members on earth they seem humbled by what it's become and at the same time remain visionary in their music. Not bad for a bunch of acid heads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , SunshineSue
OZA
Senior Boarder

Re: Visionaries and plans

#230324 1 year, 7 months ago
Great great post. Yeah, we're in a transitional period and I like where it is going. The torch has been passed, but the bearers are still being supported by Phil and Bobby. I hope Bobby and Phil keep playing for us a hell of a lot longer, but I don't think we'll know what is really happening until they're retired.

JK seems fixed on keeping it going. I truly hope Jeff C is, but he has the genius to go off in any direction, so the decision is his. Is he just playing in a band that he was suitable for, or is this exactly where Jeff wants to be and keep going?
I think one point that has not been addressed too much is the fact that Robert Hunter is getting old too. Some new songs need to be in the mix, and I guess I'm biased, but I can't pick a lyricist I like more than Hunter. He hasn't written too many new songs for Furthur, but the ones he has done are still genius. I'm sure somebody good will come along though.

It's highly unfortunate that jam bands seem to be getting pushed aside for the EDM craze. I can't fucking stand seeing that happen - but I know that the jamming will live on and make its way back into the spotlight.

As Deadheads have always been part of the Grateful Dead, we must acknowledge that each and every one of us has influence over where this is all going. We buy the tickets, we spread the music, we spread the love and show people the light (in the strangest places if they look at it right). How are people going to pick jamming rather than computer-fuck sounds? They need to be shown the music. They need to feel the energy, and realize its much more than crazed dancing on ecstasy to reach an artificial peak.

While I've always been bummed about my young age, I'm proud in that I'm an ambassador of a whole new generation of Deadheads - I'm in a position to see, and help, the music continue. And I am proud to say, with utmost confidence in my abilities, that I will do all that I possibly can to keep the torch lit and the flame high.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by OZA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#230329 1 year, 7 months ago
i think there is some torch passing going on, but its not just furthur, it has been going on since PLF started. because of phil and to a lesser extent bobby many great musicians play GD tunes, and use what they learned playing with phil to bring the magic into their own shows. but i dont think furthur is going to be a continuing entity after bob and phil hang it up, nor are they some GD come again morph into a new band thing...they are just yet another GD offshoot band. which isnt a bad thing, its a great thing! but they dont strike me as a band that will continue after phil and bob are gone. the torch has been passed in the form of soooo many great artists playing dead covers in their shows, getting together for jams/bands that play dead music, and using what they learned from the dead to bring that heat and magic in their own music.

and you talk about the streaming thing like its some grand revolution that will be so great it is compared against actual dead tour back in the day. the streams are fun, but you dont get the magic. i even listened to a PLf stream on acid one night...that magic does not happen. the streaming is just a fun thing...the payment and revenue systems they are experimenting with are pretty cool, and could dictate the commercialization of digital music. but as far as simply a musical experience...the streams really dont do much for me...its hard to sit thru a whole one most of the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZenoMarx
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#230333 1 year, 7 months ago
I AM THE MESSENGER!!!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#230339 1 year, 7 months ago
I've been noticing that Bob and Phil are treating John as a co-equal and future torch bearer. Burt, I hope you are the Messenger: In the future I see JK, JR, JC, and J Greene, but who is playing bass? Step right up...
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by lightchaser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Typ0
Junior Boarder

#230362 1 year, 7 months ago
That is why the streams don't present a threat to ticket sales in live shows and why it's revolutionary. Most bands would balk at such a thing as people would stop going to their presentation of the same show over and over again. It is a natural progression of the Dead tradition to move into this realm as long as it's nurtured ... and they are recognizing that and creating new marketing channels by leveraging technology with new studios to make it happen.

I agree with you about the life of the Jam band. I just think this Furthur project is different and probably becoming something bigger than they envisioned it right before our eyes. Instead of just another cover band it looks to be at minimum a child of the Grateful Dead organization and probably more closely a hand reaching out from the arm of the Grateful Dead themselves.

DL1943 wrote:
i think there is some torch passing going on, but its not just furthur, it has been going on since PLF started. because of phil and to a lesser extent bobby many great musicians play GD tunes, and use what they learned playing with phil to bring the magic into their own shows. but i dont think furthur is going to be a continuing entity after bob and phil hang it up, nor are they some GD come again morph into a new band thing...they are just yet another GD offshoot band. which isnt a bad thing, its a great thing! but they dont strike me as a band that will continue after phil and bob are gone. the torch has been passed in the form of soooo many great artists playing dead covers in their shows, getting together for jams/bands that play dead music, and using what they learned from the dead to bring that heat and magic in their own music.

and you talk about the streaming thing like its some grand revolution that will be so great it is compared against actual dead tour back in the day. the streams are fun, but you dont get the magic. i even listened to a PLf stream on acid one night...that magic does not happen. the streaming is just a fun thing...the payment and revenue systems they are experimenting with are pretty cool, and could dictate the commercialization of digital music. but as far as simply a musical experience...the streams really dont do much for me...its hard to sit thru a whole one most of the time.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#230383 1 year, 7 months ago
Until the last couple of years, I would have said the Grateful Dead was 'All About Jerry'. With the advent of Furthur and the explosion of younger people being pulled in by Phil and Bob (Jackie Greene, the people from Bob's Jerry tribute like Harper Simon, Adam McDougal, etc) and new energy spilling out them at TXR and TRI, I have come to the conclusion that the Dead were more than Jerry. The Dead is a metaphor for a group mind where the music begins to play the band (within a certain fabric of songs and traditions) . Jerry was a core piece of the first group of people to get to this level, but I think it's (the 'Grateful Dead') capable of continuing on past the original members. Jerry will always be my favorite, and we'll have to see what happens when Bob and Phil retire, but I think there are signs the Grateful Dead will live on in some form...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iriecycle
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#230386 1 year, 7 months ago
Truly an interesting thread, though I think should move to "General Discussion." If MLewis is to follow in Phils shoes, it's time to talk w/ Phil, a very kind, reasonable, and genuine character. Oteil Burbridge having stepped from Tedeschi Trucks Band might be a good fit, Bass Monster.
Bobby and Phil's shoes are unfulfillable, then again so are Jerry's. Funny to theorize about what is none of my business other than for my recreation, growth, and enjoyment. Gives props for Bhutan's gross national happiness. Why can't we all just get along? Because we are pitted against each other, rather than the global community we truly are.
The great thing about Furthur is they get to that place of risky improve that allows for magic to happen. I don't know why none of the other post GD bands allowed that space to happen w/ such regularity as does Furthur. Certainly other ensembles, except w/ the change of Adam MacDougall, don't seem to make the cut. Personally I enjoy JC more the AM, but AM flows in quite well. I don't know how the magic has returned w/ Furthur, I'm just glad the vibe has returned to a similar state as w/ TGOGD.
I've enjoyed the streaming, certainly isn't live, but we've shared some unique and quality evenings. I've had good times in the lot, in the day, wouldn't want to be out there these days, not sure why 'cept I miss the old guard, the youth seem interested in self more than self-fulfillment, and there aren't thousands of other folks rejoicing in the lot. So, streaming better than nothing by a long shot, and truly enjoyable when shared w/ other heads. The more the merrier. Yeah the scene became diluted during the Touch of Grey years. Then again many more folks got turned on to the core meaning, message, and experience. Who's to judge, let's leave it to the Big Guy. Do the next right thing, it's right in front of you, or just round the corner, feel it, you'll know it's the right thing. If you don't know don't do, wait. Why's everyone in such a rush? Only one place everyone's rushing to, missing out on now, and "forgetting the love we bring." Stepping off the soap box now, next.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
Typ0
Junior Boarder

#230410 1 year, 7 months ago
I don't it's about people stepping into shoes or filling someone else's role. It's about allowing something to evolve and be shaped by different pairs of shoes altogether.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Typ0.
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#230487 1 year, 7 months ago
Typ0 wrote:
I don't it's about people stepping into shoes or filling someone else's role. It's about allowing something to evolve and be shaped by different pairs of shoes altogether.

Scuse. The music certainly is evolving, and evolving well! I love the sound and style of TGOGD and the space the music provided to dance, rejoice and reflect. Although I've still got so much love for Jerry, Phil perhaps no less, and even Bobby. Miss Billy, though seen him a couple times since, and Mickey a lot. Truly love JK JC JR and the back-up singers. Whoever carries on the Music all involved helped evolve, my thanks. I love the roots. Perhaps the bands evolution will diverge greatly or not so much. Different shoes altogether, uh ok. We'll see how it goes, hopefully.

Namaste
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
Time to create page: 1.25 seconds