• Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Night 1 Review

#284160 1 year, 1 month ago
From Denver Westward

furthur1.jpg

Furthur kicked off its four-night run at Red Rocks last night, fresh from announcing the news of their upcoming touring hiatus. "Would this be the last time we would see these living legends of the Grateful Dead at Red Rocks?" seemed to be the question on many people's minds. Only time will tell, but there was definitely a level of gratitude just for being there that you could feel from everyone walking in.

The band took the stage just barely after 7:30, with drummer Joe Russo getting things started, followed by bassist Phil Lesh, who guided the rest of the band into a nice opening jam. Guitarist and vocalist John Kadlecik threw out some beautiful guitar trills, and the group went into the quick tempo of "Crazy Fingers." Really clean piano lines from Jeff Chimenti abounded, as guitarist and Grateful Dead alum Bob Weir started hitting chugging chords on his guitar. The band built the sound into a thick engine-like rhythm, and then segued right into "I Need a Miracle."

While Furthur tends to play Grateful Dead songs at a slower pace, veering sometimes into too slow, they can read each other's musical cues better than anyone. As they played "Miracle," Lesh repeated a great, pushing bass riff, and then they took a left and went into "Here Comes Sunshine." Any complaints about them playing too slow were hushed here, as the song bounced along at a trot, causing the audience to finally let loose, as yellow lights washed over the place. It was perfect situational timing for the song after the terrible flooding the state has seen. Weir pushed going back into the chorus just a little too early, but it was otherwise a nice segue, and with just a key change, they were suddenly playing "Cassidy."

Despite the news of the hiatus and conversation about various band member's health, everyone, especially Weir sounded on point tonight. His vocals were solid, particularly when he hit the last line of "Cassidy," with the lines "Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine," where he added an extra "I'm done with mine," making this rendition notably poignant. As thick colored circles of light moved quickly around on the floor, the band had a churning, rocking jam going with Weir screaming on the guitar.

Next came "Just a Little Light," a nod to deceased Dead keyboardist Brent Mydland, who wrote the tune from the late '80s, as projections that looked like tons of white branches were shown on the back of the venue. "Lost Sailor" was next, and Bob Weir made a clockwise movement with his hand to the sound guy a few times while his amp kept producing feedback. They got the kinks worked out, and the song flowed into "Saint of Circumstance," once again seemingly pulled out of nowhere. A great buildup led to hitting the peak perfectly into set break

After fifty minutes, the band hit the stage for set two. Lesh took over vocals and sang "Mountain Song," the jam having echoes of "Cassidy" in the beginning. The act went into "The Eleven," with Russo and Chimenti standing out particularly in a quick duel. Things started getting pretty spacey, and then "Mountains of the Moon" began, with Lesh on vocals again.

At this point in the night, the clouds had finally cleared to a show a huge, bright moon, and yet again Furthur had great situational setlisting singing about the moon. A sloppy transition into "Lady with a Fan" was completely overlooked once they started "Terrapin Station" and the crowd roared in approval. Chimenti really shined here on keys, as did Russo pounding out rhythms on the drums. The song wasn't played completely tonight, and with the accompanying suite being left off, the outfit instead went into "Days Between," one of the Dead's later tunes.

As the guitar melody of "Chinacat Sunflower" started up, the crowd went wild again. The tune once again built up into a chugging jam with Weir at the lead, and then continued on to a slower "Playin' in the Band," before finally cooling off with "Uncle John's Band" to get the dual "band title" punch in. The act finished the night with "I Know You Rider," usually played after "Chinacat," and the crowd really got loud for the "cool Colorado rain" line, as expected

While the show had a couple set list choices that brought the energy a little down, the band made up for it with so many seamless transitions, complex jams and strong song selection in the latter half of set two. With plenty of big hitting songs left on the table, the crowd went out into the night hugging and helping each other down the stairs, ready to do it a few more times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, nycdave, molly trout, TMax, Longmont
clutch_cargo
Junior Boarder

Re: Night 1 Review

#284168 1 year, 1 month ago
Thanks Island Head. You were there? Official (?) news of an upcoming hiatus from touring as Furthur? What is the source of this news? Thanks again, Clutch
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#284169 1 year, 1 month ago
I am not there but sure wish I was. I have never seen a show at Red Rocks, hopefully I will still get a chance but I may have to wait until 2015. If you check the home page of this site you will see the official announcement regarding the hiatus.
rainbow-wizard
Fresh Boarder

#284180 1 year, 1 month ago
I love your positivity....were we at the same show last night? Bobby was pretty clearly not there, I spent most of the show worried he was going to take a header. Fingers crossed he is ok and back in show shape tonight.
Sometimes the lights all shining on me
clutch_cargo
Junior Boarder

#284185 1 year, 1 month ago
Island Head, did you listen to it on the satilite feed? I may do that tonight if I can set up a free trial account. If so, was the feed high quality? The webcams are fun to play around with at Red Rocks too! Thanks
Chester
More or less in line

#284189 1 year, 1 month ago
clutch_cargo wrote:
Island Head, did you listen to it on the satilite feed? I may do that tonight if I can set up a free trial account. If so, was the feed high quality? The webcams are fun to play around with at Red Rocks too! Thanks

The satellite feed from sirius, I believe that's what your referring to. That's tuesdays show, from Redmond Wa.

We've been listening to streams from tapers.

As for the "Hiatus", that was announced on monday, I believe. Not a rumor, it's confirmed.
Check the Furthur dot net front page for details. But they're taking 2014 off, after Mexico.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#284193 1 year, 1 month ago
I have only listened to the first set replay on otterman's ustream channel. I had initially planned to go to Red Rocks this year but then they announced Lockn' and I felt that couldn't be missed. The last show I saw before going to Lockn' was the final night at the Cap so needless to say I was very happy to see Bob very alert and energetic for all three shows. Please note the above review is not mine, I copied it from a blog on Denver Westwards web site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
clutch_cargo
Junior Boarder

#284196 1 year, 1 month ago
Check that. My mistake on the packet radio broadcast. I thought I had read somewhere it was up now. Thanks all.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

#284392 1 year, 1 month ago
I thought the first night was not that great. Out of 12 furthur shows I thought this was the worst. Bobs guitar was overpowering (and I'm a bobby fan) plus after he plugged in his strat there was a ton of feedback. The jamming just seemed lost and there was a general lack of energy. I'm not trying to bring anything down but I thought this was very noticeable and it seems most people feel quite the contrary. I did not hear last night and won't be at tonight or sunday. How was last nights show? Hopefully I can catch the stream for sunday as I'm driving home tonight...
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds