• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
darkstarwolf
Fresh Boarder

Red Rocks 9/22/13: Why Jazz and Jerry Matter So...

#284960 1 year ago
I hoped on in the summer of 91', and if I hadn't hit the bootlegs as hard as I have since then, I don't know if I would have gotten 'it' the way I feel fortunate enough to say I have. Although I saw around 50 shows until the end, I was never able to see enough shows to feel like I had done justice to the flame of inspiration the boys ignited in me the day I went out to buy (egad!) Skeletons from the closet at the age of 16.

Tour from 91-95 at times seemed like collective 'group-therapy' for those who were fortunate or unfortunate enough to see what was happening to the deterioration of the x-factor that was so prevalent on boot-legs from 70,73,77,85,90 etc..

While all of this is subjective, what I believe now more than ever was that I was dying to get a piece of the sense of history that the boys had so impeccably managed to sustain a piece off since the days of the Gathering of the Tribes in Golden Gate Park in the Summer of 1967.

while the Stones etc. all came from the same era, there is, and exists something fundamentally different which emanated in sound and spirit of the S.F. Haight-Ashbury aesthetic than anything else that came from that era.

While numerous tomes of meticulously conducted research exist on the after mentioned subjects,
it is safe to say that last nights performance truly breached the group consciousness into that other realm of eternal being; unknowing formlessness, the eye of creation birthing the ingredients of reality in a formless cacophony of the sacred and the profane, the eternal forms of Apollo and Dionysus perpetually intertwined in a dance of life and death: The X-Factor incarnate, with (as was stated in Furthur Forums) w/ Coltrane himself (in spirit) paying visit and nodding in approval.

I do not know what will hold forth for the legacy of the psychedelic rock movement (which shall forever have it home in the San Fransisco of the 1960's), all I know is that the legacy of community and improvisation are alive and well in the current and the forthcoming ranks of the Grateful Dead family.

Branford playing on stage reminded of me of a calling I was blessed enough to realize and accept at the blissful age of 16: Jazz to me is the savior of the nations soul, as its conception in Congo Square in New Orleans can have no more bearing an integral aspect of the nations soul than any other. It is our contribution to the canon of Western Civilization, and a mighty blow indeed to the incarnations of malaise and frivolity that seep into the marrow of a country's soul every now and then (between epochs of history and time); as Joseph Campbell said, the Grateful Dead are the antidote to the atomic bomb.

Kesey, Kerouac, Ginsberg, Coltrane, Hunter Thompson, Garcia, these are my heroes, my sacred totems of perpetual inspiration and fire, and I am fortunate to be a part of this community that has saved my soul more times than I care to remember.

What an epic night of music, family and all that is right with living one's life in the eye of the storm of history and time eternal...Blessings family, and thank you Phil, Bobby and co. for facilitating the love of life my parents instilled in me as a child, and now as a man, if I never get the chance to see Furthur live again, I will always have become a better person, with a calling and someone to love...all of you.

Blessings...
Last Edit: 1 year ago by darkstarwolf. Reason: picture didnt show up...
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Zipster, SunshineSue, sidewalkstrativarius, HogBackHead
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Red Rocks 9/22/13: Why Jazz and Jerry Matter So...

#284967 1 year ago
As a fellow jazz fan, I loved this post!! We were truly blessed once again last night to hear some magical music with so much of a classic jazz influence!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Zipster, darkstarwolf
whatdah
Junior Boarder

#284983 1 year ago
well said
last night was joyous.

archive.org/details/Furthur2013-09-22.Audix_Omni
Don't shake the tree if the fruit ain't ripe
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Zipster, darkstarwolf, sidewalkstrativarius
craze
Junior Boarder

#285029 1 year ago
It was the Dead themselves that led me, as a young man, down the path to Coltrane, Miles, Ornette, Bernie, and beyond (and later to Branford).
The following user(s) said Thank You: darkstarwolf
HogBackHead
Junior Boarder

#285043 1 year ago
Nicely written post.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a house filled with Miles, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Art Pepper and later The Crusaders and all the funk Jazz of the early 70's. So, when I got turned on to the Dead around age 15 it was a natural fit and has been ever since.

I got to see Branford and Wynton play with Art Blakey's band in Santa Cruz, CA in 1980 in a small club called Kuumbwa Jazz Center. You could see the young lions honing their chops with one of the masters much older than they and being held to a high standard by the band leader. It shows to this day in Branford's playing. Dude is a professional musician in the true sense of the word. Thing I respect about Branford (and Wynton for that matter) is his willingness to stretch out and play all kinds of music despite being "classicaly" trained as a Jazz player. As long as it "swings" ! It's a nice fit playing with these guys as it was back in 1990 when he jammed with the Grateful Dead.

Long live the music.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by HogBackHead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: darkstarwolf
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds