• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Furthur, TRI Studio, 6/7/11 Webcast

#32610 3 years, 2 months ago
I think it's a pretty cool way to handle the situation.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#32623 3 years, 2 months ago
nastero wrote:
I missed it last night due to a deadline at work, but I'd gladly pay 20 now to see a re-run of it. I doubt that's going to be available though.

Agreed, get it on DVD and it's on!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
ashesnglass1
Fresh Boarder

#32665 3 years, 2 months ago
First off, never really one to try to do a full on review and capture this music in a worded essay. That being stated, Furthur at TRI, and the technology involved inspired me enough to jot down a couple things. Looking forward to watching and listening to this again later today. Also, as a preface, I have for the most part scaled way back on going out to see Furthur, and really for no relevant reason. Just where I am these days. A classic "break" from the music, and the classic "reeled back in" has occured, once again

Viewed both STC and Furthur at TRI so far, enjoyed both.

FURTHUR really suprised me in the quality of play. Perhaps that is because the last time I saw them perform was the last Worcester show which to me was a hum-drum affair. For this review, I reserve the right to change my opinion after further viewings/listenings

Not much banter, one funny thing: I think it was after Crazy Fingers, Bobby, as if forgetting there was a virtual audience listening and watching around the globe, says "oh....hiya everybodyl" or something to that degree. That was the greeting. LMAO!!! Phil too, a few times it seemed he kind of positioned himself like "oh shit, that's right, there are fans out there watching" haha.

PITB opener began to get out there, but reeled back in. I thought this version easily could've been explored and melted for another 10 minutes. Coming down off a fine PITB, the band launched into those opening sounds of Crazy Fingers, and I was immediately placed back in Foxboro, Massachusetts 1989 for this rare combo of an opener. Gone are the days?

JS was JS, nothing too over the top here. Same with BEW. Not saying JS and BEW were not well played, just my memory is absorbed with what came after these. Another listen and my opinion could change.

For me, Big Bad Blues is where this night really began to take shape. Last time I paid attention to this tune was when Bobby delivered an infant version of it via his acoustic guitar and couch. Really like where he has taken this one.

JK, with this ensemble, at shows I've seen, really hadn't done much for me, up until this performance. John goes OFF on this tune, and is great throughout the rest of the show. He really tears it up on BBB, followed by an average but always good to hear Wheel. Out of wheel into probably the highlight for many...UNBROKEN CHAIN! Neverending thanks to PHIL for these great tune. Again, JK delivers, and Jeff Chimenti absolutely amazing on UC. Both share the MVP for this night.

Unbroken Chain led into a so-so Other One. This tune is suffereing from overkill. Put it away for now...PLEASE. And next time you bring it out in the studio, please play "That's It For The Other One" in it's entirety. Again, looking forward to another listen of this one.

The following was a real nice Uncle John's Band, and I got a bit welled up for obvious reasons, and found myself singing this out in unison with the band and the rest of the virtual audience.

Next up a climb to Terrapin, which I'm really looking forward to listening to again as I believe this was the entire Terrapin suite. Very well done.

Enter Black Peter! First notes always raise my neckhairs LOVED IT. Some folks I've read from time to time don't like Bob touching the slower or ballad type JG songs. I've seen Ratdog do this incredible justice and not so good versions. There is a version from Worcester Palladium I attended some years back where Bobby just completely unloads all emotion and energy during the "run and see" 's. This version does not top that, but not too bad and vocals like this at his age is amazing in my opinion.

Mountain Song was ok, nothing that has grown on me though, however, I haven't really given it a fair chance. I thought it just ok.

IKYR was EXCELLENT.

Again, my opinion of the playing may change after viewing again today. I try to never really get into what I consider "divisive" type discussions as this music is of the rarest and can not so simply be labeled. I like it all. As much as it is a "group experience", it is an individual one as well...and when everything is just exactly perfect, and the individual meets the group... it is then that the true force of this music is realized.
Virtually...this can be done!

Don't know how many more live shows I will attend, but will continue with the TRI shows for sure. THIS IS WHY THE INTERNET WAS INVENTED. "WORLD WIDE WEB".

Now if the Stones would decide to jump on this technology I'd be all for it. Think it would be a great way for their 'twilight" years. But better invest in that backbone as their fan base is ridiculous.

Sure there were other countries for this one, here's some heads from 5:03 AM Austria, getting their Furthur on PLANTED in their seats :rofl One look at the coffee table prbly why

AND LEAVE IT ON!
The following user(s) said Thank You: decree
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#32702 3 years, 2 months ago
Good review Ashenglass. Y'all look pretty comfy there. My house was just like that except the video wasn't working for shit. I'll watch it again here this weekend.

I've seen a number of Furthur shows, from the start in September of 09 until just last weekend at Shoreline. I can say with a large degree of certainty that they have gotten much tighter and more powerful as time has gone on. Welcome back to the fold. I was in an off again phase after New Years as I was dealing with some ex-girlfriend issues. Now I'm back on the bus, so to say.
All You Need
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Irrenarzt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Jones
Darxtar
Junior Boarder

#33018 3 years, 2 months ago
This is going to be a great weekend. For sure!
And that was a nice review. Thanks.
You aint gonna learn what you don't want to know.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Darxtar.
ashesnglass1
Fresh Boarder

#33082 3 years, 2 months ago
Irrenarzt wrote:
Good review Ashenglass. Y'all look pretty comfy there. My house was just like that except the video wasn't working for shit. I'll watch it again here this weekend.

I've seen a number of Furthur shows, from the start in September of 09 until just last weekend at Shoreline. I can say with a large degree of certainty that they have gotten much tighter and more powerful as time has gone on. Welcome back to the fold. I was in an off again phase after New Years as I was dealing with some ex-girlfriend issues. Now I'm back on the bus, so to say.

hahaha...that last pic was not me in austria, but fellow heads. weir everywhere

and an update to my review after viewing a bunch more times:
The entire set is basically smokin' and beautiful beginning to end.

TRI ROCKS!
AND LEAVE IT ON!
JakeStraw
Fresh Boarder

#33267 3 years, 2 months ago
I can only watch the video people recorded and put up on youtube. anybody know who the audience was who were in the studio? was there some kind of contest or something for regular fans to attend the show? or was it just the inner family people? cuz man, if theres some kind of contest for the next ones, I will find a way to get there!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#33319 3 years, 2 months ago
could someone please record it i couldnt seee the first showing and there not taking any new customers even tho im signed up over at TRI
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Steve
Junior Boarder

#33404 3 years, 2 months ago
I agree that the Unbroken Chain was unreal. I want to play that jam for jazz freaks to see how they like it.
Thanks Charlie Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HeatherB
Junior Boarder
Inspiration move me brightly

#33429 3 years, 2 months ago
Tri viewing is great and you have the convenience, good sound quality and all that but, in my opinion, nothing beats being at a live show. I hope the boys don't get too comfy in that fancy new studio. I'll be waiting not so patiently for summer tour.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by HeatherB.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds